We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer Report - Candolim

Cheshire, Uk
Level Contributor
130 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer Report - Candolim

Hi,

Firstly, I'd like to say a big thank you to all who have contributed to this forum. I found it fantastic when planning my first (and hopefully not last) holiday to Goa.

We stayed in the Lui Beach (Sinquerim end) in Candolim. I've posted a report in the hotels section. I'd would recommend anyone to stay here - it was clean and basic with friendly staff and quite a few returning guests.

After trying the beach near the hotel we preferrred to walk up further than the River Princess as it wasn't so pebbly there. The beach shacks were great - fab food, great staff. Even the constant flow of beach sellers didn't put us off - I usually found that a polite "no thank you" to everything that was being offered and not promising "later" or "tomorrow" was enough to make them leave me alone. I also took a tip from here and told a rather persistant one that we were there for 3 weeks, rather than the two weeks we had booked for.

We didn't have a favourite beach shack, we tried a different one most days. The only place I didn't like was the Sea n Sand shack (a couple of doors away from Stringfellos) as one of the shack lads kept asing if we wanted a massage and we kept saying no, he even brough a book out with testimonies in. I threatened to walk away from the shack if he didn't leave us alone. I wish I had done as he was a pest all day. It was also the only place I didn't leave a tip.

The restaurants were fantastic. We went to some close to the hotel and walked up to the beach road and tried some up there. My favourites were Infernos, The Mermaid, Jikonis and The Curry House. I also really like the Himalyan which was close to our hotel. The food was excellent, at a good price and the staff were good. During the day, Cafe Choccolati was excellent for lunches when we weren't at the beach. The only place I woouldn't go back to would be Ruffles - very bland food and an "entertainer" who told unfunny jokes and laughed louder and longer than anyone at how funny he was.

We organised trips through John's boat tours, very reasonabley priced, reliable and safety conscious. We went to the waterfalls, dolphin spotting and BBQ, and to Anjuna with them. The staff were really friendly, spoke good English and were happy to point out landmarks as we were travelling alosn.

The driver for the waterfalls trip was good (despite the scary driving!) he pointed out loads of places of interest and kept asking if we wanted to stop and take photographs. John's do have a website with prices on and as a guide we found that our rep rpices were nearly twice as much as what they were charging.

Despite the police pulling down the shacks at Coco beach when we went for the BBQ it was a good day out.

We decided to go to Panjim one day and took the local bus. We were fortunate enough to be befriended by an English couple who gave us more tips and pointed us in the right direction once we had left the ferry and even shared a taxi with us back to Candolim as the bus was full. I thought that the prices in Panjim may be lower than the UK but in many sports shops the prices are the same. It was a good experience though and going to Shere e Punjab before heading back was fantastic. The portions are HUGE!

We took the local bus into Calangute one day. It was so much busier than Candolim! It was nice to walk around there for a couple of hours but I'm not sure that I would have liked to stay in Calangute - a bit busy and manic for me!

One morning we decided to walk down to where the fort sticks into the sea. There's not really much to see there, until you look out onto the beach and enjoy a fantastic view across the beach.

We had a fantastic holiday, an experience that I would recommend to others, and I am grateful to all on here who gave us advice and also the people we got talking to in resort that gave us more advice and tips.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
828 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer Report - Candolim

I have really enjoyed reading your holiday report. Thankyou very much for sharing it with us. It is always helpful to get others opinions on good and bad when you are a newbe like me.

So glad you had such a lovely time.

Leicester
Level Contributor
306 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer Report - Candolim

I am still a Goa virgin, still got 7 weeks to go but I really enjoy reading reports of fellow travellers experiences. Looks as though you had a great holiday, wanting to visit Panjim ourselves, where is Shere e Punjab. Staying in the south as its quieter and will suit us better than somewhere like busy Calangute.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer Report - Candolim

aw socks thankyou for posting your report. we have just booked for the Lui, and its our first trip to Goa too.

Glad you had a great time, I 've read varying reports about the hotels, but its gd to hear from someone whos just got back...thanks.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,908 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer Report - Candolim

Great read :-))

Cheshire, Uk
Level Contributor
130 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer Report - Candolim

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

Newball - the Shere e Punjab is on the opposite side to the Bambay Bazar but a bit closer to the ferry. There seating inside and out but we chose to sit inside under the fans!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer Report - Candolim

Great report socks :) thanks for sharing :) :) :) Always lovely to read a report from a first-time perspective.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer Report - Candolim

Hi socksandsandals

Glad you had a great first time and you enjoyed your stay at lui beach which we had recommended on here. We are going in 11 days, our second trip. We can't wait and will put Shere e punjab on our list to visit.

Thanks

Caroline

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timer Report - Candolim

great report we are going in 6 weeks for the 3rd time can never remember restaurtant names where about is infernos

aldershot u.k
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timer Report - Candolim

Candolim-Beach road

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply