We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back

essex
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back

Hi everyone, Returned from two weeks at the Marinha Dourada on Friday (2nd visit)and have just about finished the laundry. The weather was VERY HOT - 40+ most days and not a cloud in the sky. The MD was fab as usual. The staff were wonderful and very friendly. We found 3 new restaurants - well new to us anyway. The first was called Nicks Place and is only a five minute walk from the hotel. If you leave by the main entrance and turn right it is just past the money exchange shop on the left hand side of the road. We ate there about 4-5 times - breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have an upstairs 'sun terrace', shaded by an enormous mango tree, where you can sit and watch the world go by. The food was excellent and good value with all tastes catered for, and the staff were great. If you go there please say hello to Rakesh and Agnel from Leigh and Neil. The second one is called Starlight. This restaurant is used mainly by the locals and the food is fantastic - mainly curries. My hubby loves a HOT curry and he wasn't disappointed.The deco is a bit scruffier that Spice or Saffron- but in the dark - yes we had plenty of power cuts -you can't tell and the atmosphere is great.The prices are very cheap - approx half the price of the fancier restaurants but the quality of the food is very good.The Starlight is in Arpora, so again is within walking disance of the MD. The third is called Honey Bar. Again excellent service and very good prices. It is opposite Baba's Supermarket/Renton Manor so again was within walking distance of the MD. We went to Panjim Market by bus - an unforgettable experience - how many people can they squeeze onto 1 bus??-we even had some hanging off the outside!!. The smells and colours of the market were amazing. We went on a Friday so the fish and vegetable market was there alongside all the clothes, bedding etc. We also visited Anjuna market, where we bought some Tibetan silver. Unfortunately the Night Market is still closed. We visited several beaches. Our favourite was Small Vagator. You need to hire a cab or go by scooter as it is quite remote. They have lovely cottages for rent - 1200 rupees a night, a few beach shacks and a Buddah's face carved into the rocks on the beach. We had a lovely peaceful day. We did go to Baga beach but found it too busy for us so we wandered up the path by Baga Creek. After a bit of mountaineering we found a secluded cove with one beach shack. Sorry I can't remember what it was called, but it was an oasis of peace and quiet. Well worth a visit if you don't mind a bit of climbing.

We didn't do any of the trips, we will leave that until next time. All in all we had a wonderful, peaceful, but exciting holiday with great food, friendly people and fantastic weather. Roll on next year, we will be back.

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back

sounds like u had a super time, roll on till next time and thanku for telling us about it i have made notes

essex
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back

Hi again, One thing I should mention regarding Small Vagator. It is a 'Hippy' beach and a certain amount of herbal items are smoked in public and at the shacks.. We don't indulge but weren't bothered by it atall. Just thought I would let you know if it is something you would rather avoid.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back

Lovely report Virago, thanks :) When we went to Vagator, we were told by our taxi driver to go right on the beach to avoid the 'happy hippy' end and we just went down that end to see the rock carvings at the end of the day.

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back

Welcome back Virago!

Great report and thanks for recommendations for the restaurants. Some names there I've not been to before will be visiting in April.

Glad the MD is still in good health....phew!!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,641 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back

Glad you had such a great time Virago, enjoyed reading your report.

essex
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back

Hi Iain, Glad to say that the MD is still wonderful.You should take a walk along the river behind the hotel and have a look at the houses they have been building down there, they are fantastic. Beautiful river views. If I win the lottery that's where I'll be going.

Virago

liverpool
Level Contributor
99 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back

Hi what a lovely trip report. am all excited now as am staying in the MD in 3 weeks time. Will also be trying out a couple of places to eat you recommended. I have also heard good reports about Nicks place so cant wait as that was not there last year.

burnley lancashire
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back

hi virago just a slight update for you just got back yesterday from md and on saturday night market in arpora was in full swing full of the usual we all know great couple of hours before evening meal for some reason mackies was still closed ? beleve they didnt apply for the licence anyway glad to here you enjoyed md as much as we did as you say roll on next year must have a look down that river at the houses they have built sound lovely

essex
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back

Hi Paul,

Aint that just typical!!!

Hopefully it will be on next season.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back

Good to hear that the Starlight is still as good. Went there several times a couple of years ago after a recommendation from our Goan rep who worked for Thomas Cook. Nearly walked back out again when we first went in - almost empty and did not look very inviting. Before we could turn round the owner came rushing accross to us, welcoming us and asking what we liked to eat. He gave us his recommendations and we agreed to these. When the food arrived it was great - the seafood there is particularly good. When the bill came we were amazed - how could such an excellent meal be so cheap? The place filled up later in the evening (mainly with locals, we were the only europeans eating there that night) and the atmosphere was great.

Back in Goa at Easter and we will definately be revisiting the Starlight.