We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Candolim day 3

london
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Candolim day 3

Day 3 (Tuesday 10-03-09)

Had breakfast at hotel, Aloo Parathe with mango pickle & natural yoghurt (very nice). Some guests have brought there own cornflakes all the way to India with them. I wonder if they have brought tins of proper mushy peas as well.

After breakfast Rocky picked us up in his taxi and took us to Ashwem beach. The place is absolutely beautiful and vey quiet compared to Candolim. There is nobody selling goods on the beach and the sea seems to be a little calmer. We had been dropped off at Lovely Jubbly Shack as it was convenient for the car park, so we decided to give it a go.

We both decided to lie on the sunbeds with a bit of shade and just lounge about all day. I had a few forays into the sea but stayed quite sensible as there is still a strong undercurrent ready to whisk you out.

Weather was rally really hot despite the strong breeze.

Glinys decided to have a massage, I declined the offer even though the bed at the hotel was like a slab of granite and gave me a stiff back when I woke in the morning. Asked to see a menu and decided to order some lunch, although everything was priced I noticed that the calamari wasn’t but ordered some anyway.

Lovely Jubbly Shack

2 Sunbeds - 100

2 Lime soda - 50

1 Calamari – 275

1 Prawn Biryani – 120

1 Aloo Gobi – 100

1 Garlic Naan – 45

2 Water (1ltr bottles) – 50

2 large Kingfisher – 160

Total Price Rs 900 – very good food but 4 out of 10 (Calamari rip off)

Food was really good but when I got the bill the calamari had been priced at 275 rps which is way over the top compared to other shacks.

I had asked the price when I ordered but he did not reply and changed the subject. So the lesson is to make sure you get a price.

Rocky came to pick us up at about 5 o’clock & we headed back to Candolim. Stopped to watch a local football match at the football ground, standard wasn’t great but quite a large crowd were enjoying it.

Went to chemists & got some rehydration salts as advised by one of the ex pats at the hotel. They are terrible to take but apparently we do need to take 1 a day. Had a nap at the hotel and then back out to dinner at about 9 o’clock. Went to the Curry House in Candolim beach road, which is one of the restaurants on my list as recommended by fellow tripadvisors. Location and ambience of the Curry House is fabulous with a great view of the street below. However we weren’t too impressed with the food as my wife ordered a plain cooked steak, which when it came had been cooked in garlic and herbs.

Curry House (Candolim beach rd.)

2 lge Kingfisher - 140

1 Red curry fishcakes – 160

1 Goan prawn curry – 190

1 Beef steak – 250

1 Plain rice – 60

1 Spring onion Garlic Naan – 50 (lovely)

1 Water (1ltr bottles) – 25

2 large Kingfisher – 160

Total Price Rs 875 – okay food 5 out of 10

Back to the hotel to the balcony for a few more Gin & Tonics then off to bed. Looking forward to tomorrow as we are going to Anjuna market & Mandrem beach.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Candolim day 3

That Gin's lasting well. lol

Market should be good tomorrow.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Candolim day 3

Mandrem Beach and Anjuna Market - my idea of a great day out! Agree that gin is lasting well, or have you been back to Newton's to stock up on more??

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Candolim day 3

Hi

Well emerald001 I am certainly learning from your experiances of exactly where NOT to eat and which shacks Not to use. Charging for sunbeds when you eat at the shacks is considered a no no and another example of the rip of greedy attitude that is prevailing with many and spoiling Goa.

The prices charged for the food is in my opinion really extortionate.You can get a half a kilo of Basmati rice for 60 rupees and Best steak is around 150 rps a KILO and that is not wholesale rates.Makes a flipping hell of a mark up.

Its no wonder that everyone and his brother want to run restaurants or shacks in the tourist area.

Fleetwood, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Candolim day 3

where is ashwem beach please ????

we are staying in candolim so is it up or down from there lol

london
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Candolim day 3

Ashwem beach is to the north, past Morjim. It is really beautiful, we went to the sea paradise shack.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,500 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Candolim day 3

Still enjoying your daily updates Emerald and look forward to day 4 :-)

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,500 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Candolim day 3

Bruahy, perhaps you could do a list of which shacks and restaurants offer the best value meals and drinks IYHO - or do you tend to keep away from the main tourist areas? I'm sure it would be useful for lots of people - as long as it didn't make them too popular and push the prices up lol.

Wakefield
Level Contributor
220 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Candolim day 3

Emerald and look forward to day 4 would agree that Ashwem beach is absolutely beautiful and all the beds at the Highland are like a slab of granite

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Candolim day 3

emerald - love the update - could you say how much the taxi was to the beach from candolim? and di you have the same guy to take u all over??

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Candolim day 3

Hi Gemma1

No sorry I wont be putting up for open knowledge what could be considered to be best value places because as you mentioned they would soon change especially when people started to tell them how cheap they were,but the cheap is of course compared to a different currency and different continent.Plus i'd probably be wasting my time as many mentions have been made at different times on this forum re not paying for sun beds but people still do it.

Water can be purchased for as low as 10 rupees a bottle.20 should be max ANYWHERE thats 100% up so 25 at the Lovely Jubbly Shack is plain Rip off for any one to notice also