We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Candolim day 11

london
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Candolim day 11

Day 11 (Wednesday 18-03-09)

I woke really early at about 6:00 am, got ready and headed out of the tent, quite a few of the staff are still here & have slept on the sunbeds.

I decided to go for a walk along the beach and was accompanied by 2 of the dogs that live on site. This place is so peaceful, the beach is totally deserted & it is absolutely beautiful. Could do with some coffee though but the bar area doesn’t open till about 8 o’clock.

Went for an early morning dip in the lagoon, it was really cold as the sun wasn’t up high enough to warm the water.

The place seems very safe & secure but to be on the safe side we carry a small pack with our valuables in. Always better to be safe than stupid. There is a small crowd of people staying here & they seem to be ok, there is a French couple with a toddler of about 18 months, a couple of Russians & 3 other English couples.

When Gladys woke up & got ready we both had breakfast consisting of cheese toasties & lots of coffee, amazing view while we sat and ate our food.

We spent the day just as we had spent the first, in & out of the lagoon, relaxing in a hammock, walking along the beach & just generally chilling out. Gladys was feeling absolutely on top of the world & having a great time, didn’t think she would be ok with roughing it a little but she is really enjoying it. Had some veggie noodles for lunch with a few beers, dreamt of winning the lottery & doing this every day for the rest of my life.

Around about 5 o’clock we were sitting outside the tent drinking a beer & watching the world go by. Gladys turned to say somethimg, looked down & screamed ‘SNAKE’, she jumped, I jumped higher & the poor snake got the fright of its life and sped off down alongside the tent. It had been no further than 3 feet from us but didn’t realize we were there as we were just sitting there quietely. Anyhow we watched in horror as it slipped into the tent, I told Gladys to go & get help, I would try & keep an eye on its location. I crept into the tent & looked around, there was no way I was going to crouch down to look under the bed. Grabbed the camera & went to investigate the bathroom area, there it was hiding in the corner. I didn’t know anything about snakes, whether it was poisonous or not. I crept closer and raised the camera, thank god I had a zoom lens as I didn’t want to get within striking distance. Meanwhile Gladys had got to the bar, the barmen were serving & chatting to a customer, she politely butted in & said “er excuse me, if you don’t mind there is a snake in our tent”. All hell broke loose, staff started jabbering & screaming at each other in indian. They all got large sticks to use as weapons & asked Gladys to show them to the tent. As you can imagine every guest in the bar area was intrigued by the commotion & decided to tag along. As they walked back to our tent everybody who was there at the site followed along as well.

Meanwhile back at the tent I was standing guard over the snake, about a metre long, green with a yellow underbelly, waiting for the fateful strike & deadly venom to finish me off. I heard a noise, a huge commotion outside the tent so I went to see what was happening. They had sticks but seemed wary of entering the tent, asking me to describe it. I told them that it was in the bathroom & to come & see for themselves. We entered the tent & crept into the bathroom, it had gone. Everybody started to panic, the staff looked around the tent but found nothing so they searched the surrounding area but again found nothing.

They asked me to describe the snake again, but this time I showed them the photograph that I had taken earlier. As you can imagine everybody was a little excited to say the least.

I turned to Gladys & asked her if she wanted me to call rocky, I would understand if she wanted to go back to the hotel after this little drama.

Give her a lot of respect, she said that she would still stay for one more night as we had planned. I suggested to her that we move from our tent to one of the huts that are up on stilts. She agreed that it would suit her better not to sleep in the tent tonight. I also thought it was a really really really good idea.

I asked one of the staff if they had a problem with snakes but he assured me that was not the case, this was the first ever incident & from the photograph he could see that this type of snake is not dangerous.

Everybody settled down for the evening, we sat on the veranda of our hut, Gladys needed Gin & Tonic to steady her nerves and I had some whisky left. As the evening wore on and it started to get dark, we noticed that the staff had lanterns & torches and were still searching the site. I thought to myself that if this snake is not dangerous then why are they looking so hard for it, didn’t mention that to Gladys though.

We talked about what had happened & we laughed about it, at least when we get we have got a photo as proof.

Gladys went to the bathroom, gave out an almighty scream & came running back out onto the veranda, “there is a big fat frog sat on our toilet”.

Once again the great white hunter went to investigate, there was nothing there but the toilet wouldn’t flush. Went along to inform the staff and three of them followed me back to the hut. One of the men put his hand in the rim of the bowl, fished out a frog & hey presto the toilet flushed.

We went to bed with me thinking that neither of us would get any sleep tonight but we both slept like babies.

Sorry it is such a long report for today but there was plenty to tell. If you want to see a picture of the snake go to my earlier post. I have since found out from looking on the internet that it was indeed quite harmless, it is an Olive Snake.

One thing I would like to say is how totally irresponsible & stupid some people are. When we were sitting out on the veranda at a bout 8 o’ clock in the evening the French mother took her young daughter to her hut at the far end of the site. Fifteen minutes later she walked past without the child and went back to the bar at the other end to meet her partner. There was no way she would be able to hear the child if it was crying as it was too far. You would think people would learn from the fate of poor Madelaine McCaan, but apparently not. Makes my blood boil it really does.

Surrey
Level Contributor
223 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Candolim day 11

excellent report

Reading UK
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Candolim day 11

Brill as always!

UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Candolim day 11

Another great report and have seen the pictures there great as well.

Reading UK
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Candolim day 11

Where are the pictures?

UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Candolim day 11

Hi Pinched this link about snake bites in Goa from Bruahy's Weather post today.

www.navhindtimes.com/story.php…

UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Candolim day 11

relax2it heres the link to emeralds photo

www.flickr.com/search/people/…

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Candolim day 11

Tell you what, your Gladys is a hundred times braver than me!

I'd have had you ringing Rocky right away and the frog would have finished me off completely lol

Nope, nice comfy hotel room for me! :-))

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Candolim day 11

Great report - you certainly won't forget your trip in a hurry! However it has put me off trying a tent I think I'll stick to beachhuts, it reminded me how much I hated creepy crawlies when I camped in the UK when I was a teenager - don't think I would be able to sleep thinking that a snake might crawl into my tent in the middle of the night!!

Leeds
Level Contributor
389 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Candolim day 11

So you didn't fancy le'scargo Linda, lol

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply