We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

your plans for dry days in goa

england
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
your plans for dry days in goa

as there will be a few dry day,s in goa what,s everyone,s plans who will be there.shall you go tea total,stock up your fridges,or bribe the goan,s with a few rupees to open up the bars lol

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: your plans for dry days in goa

No chance to stock up your fridge - all the bottle shops are closed and alot of the bars have already run out, some closed their doors a couple of days ago.

If you do find any booze the price has shot up, yesterday there was Romanoff on sale in Porvarim (on the way to Panjim) at twice its normal price.

Don't know how long this will last, nobody thought they would shut and loose their income but they have.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: your plans for dry days in goa

Contary to popular belief i dont drink vast amounts nowadays, but i'de be gutted if i was on holiday and could'nt enjoy a cold shandy, or drink with my meal.

How soon after the elections is alcohol sold ?

For anyone travelling to Goa this week, stock up on your duty free, and weight permitting put a box of wine in your luggage.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: your plans for dry days in goa

Normally the alcohol ban is on for election days only - this year 21-22-23 April and normal service would have resumed on 24th. We have just been talking about it and think it may be a while if this state of affairs carries on as by 24th everyone will have run out and deliveries will re-start then but not everyone will be able to get their beer the same day.

Friends rang early to say they do not know what to do as both their regular bars have run out of beer. Knowing we always keep a couple of cases in stock (I don't drink it and OH only has one occasionally) they were probably angling after an invite:-)

This is another thing which is not going to help the tourism cause of Goa. There are many coach loads of men whose sole reason for coming to Goa is to drink the cheap beer they don't get in their own state and were looking pretty glum outside the locked bottle shop in Calangute earlier today.

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: your plans for dry days in goa

Jeera, just because the supermarkets have cleared the shelves of alcohol in support of the wine stores does not mean you cannot buy it

You need a none see though bag and just ask discreetly for what you want and they will go upstairs and put it in your bag no problem, I even saw cold beers go from the shop the same way

I bought honey bee and white mischief vodka yesterday in Calungute and saw at least one wine store open in Mapusa market today.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: your plans for dry days in goa

welloutofit - this is an information site for tourists and I don't think that tourists know the "back ways" to get things.

Quote - You need a none see though bag and just ask discreetly for what you want and they will go upstairs and put it in your bag no problem, I even saw cold beers go from the shop the same way.

Was this Newtons or similar? he would sell his grandmother for 2 rupees.

"I bought honey bee and white mischief vodka yesterday in Calungute and saw at least one wine store open in Mapusa market today" -

"at least one wine shop open in Mapusa" is not what people want to hear - shall we walk around Mapusa all day until we find somewhere open.

Off licences are NOT open so there is no chance of buying alcohol no matter what you say

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: your plans for dry days in goa

welloutofit - this is an information site for tourists and I don't think that tourists know the "back ways" to get things.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

They do now!

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: your plans for dry days in goa

The wine store is opposite Xavier's Cafe in Mapusa Market

Something else they now know!!

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: your plans for dry days in goa

I was speaking with a shop owner in Calangute at length about the alcohol thing and although the elections have influenced things the main reason for the empty shelves is a protest against the government who, according to her, interfere more and more with the sale of alcohol. She went on to say the government expect shop keepers to take the names and addresses of people buying alcohol. The shop keepers, of course, take great exception to this and have stopped selling as a result. She did say that she would happily sell from under the counter. I was after a bottle of the fantastic Honey Bee you understand...

Andy

Lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: your plans for dry days in goa

This is an easy one really!!

I just emailed my friendly host of the guest house we are staying at, arriving Tuesday 21st, and they are kindly filling my fridge with Kingfisher prior to our arrival.

Don't know what all the fuss is about ;-) lol

4 more sleeps!!!!!

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: your plans for dry days in goa

Hi TonyB

I think you will have problems getting alcohol when the elections are on until 1700 hours on the 23rd apart from your own stock but up to now I have had no trouble in getting a drink in a bar, shack or restaurant or even buying alcohol from shops/supermarkets. I think jeera really needs to get out more.

Get answers to your questions about Goa