We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help deciding whether to go please

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need help deciding whether to go please

Hi All, Me and my partner stayed in Candolim about 4 years ago and loved it (after the initial culture shock of course). We are looking to go back to Goa over new year, but the package is staying at the Osborne resort in Calangute. Price is coming out about 900gbp each.

Does this sound about right for 2weeks over New Year?

Also don't really remember Calangute at all, is there as much going on as in Candolim? quite liked the relaxed atmosphere last time and I'm a bit worried Calangute will be like?

Also are the beaches crammed with people like Baga was?

any thoughts would be great

:-)

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help deciding whether to go please

Sounds a bit pricey to me, even for New Year period. Try icelolly.com or deals2travel. Yes Calangute is much busier than Candolim, but thats not a bad thing at night. In any case it''s only 10 minutes along the road to either Candolim or the opposite way, to baga, so it's a good base. The Osborne has mixed reviews. I think some blocks are better than others, so check it out under the review section to see what people recommend. Go for it, the pound is holding it's own there at the moment, so it's still cheap to eat and drink out.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help deciding whether to go please

We usually go over Christmas/New Year and I think £900 isn't a bad price at all. We have had to pay close to this in the past, even leaving it until the last minute.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help deciding whether to go please

I just checked discovergoa.co.uk who we booked with and its showing up as £450 each but that will be without taxes, when we booked it came up around that mark but ended up at £585. The Osborne is not in the central busy part of Calangute, its on the road out to Candolim just past the chapel thats in the middle of road and just before daytripper. We go to the Osborne because of the location and its off the main road so not too noisy. Its about 15 mins walk to the beach which is quite busy but not like Baga.

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help deciding whether to go please

Just do it , you know it makes sense!

The Osborne is OK and only down the road from Candolim but as the others say shop around and try to get a better price

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help deciding whether to go please

fyi,

the osborne hotel for 14 nights leaving manchester on the 21st dec is £707 per person including flight meals 15kg baggage and resort transfers at www.directholidays.co.uk lates...

im sure they fly from gatwick as well..

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help deciding whether to go please

Thankyou all so much for your replies! I've checked the websites you all kindly recommended and alot of the prices they show change when you ring them or the flights are with Monarch (my other half refuses to fly Monarch after a bad experience!). Still going to have a little look around before deciding though.

thanks again, I'm sure you'll hear from me again asking more random questions!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
850 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help deciding whether to go please

hello BigOldWorrier

just ask away on here as much as you like, we are a friendly bunch on this TA forum and there is always someone that can anwer you.

Do hope you find something, we are gonna be there for Xmas and New Year too in Candolim. let us know how you get on please.

London, United...
Level Contributor
612 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help deciding whether to go please

I've just posted to ask where to find good hotel prices at this time. Reading the guidebooks I think Candolim or Calanguete would suit us to so I'll have a look at these sites for prices. Many thanks.

I worry about the standard of the hotels, especially bathrooms! Would we need a 4 star hotel to get a modern western style bathroom?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help deciding whether to go please

We have stayed in a range of star hotels in Goa, now we always go 2 star B&B, all have western bathrooms, they are wet rooms with a shower, no baths. 2 star rooms are very basic but usually clean, you dont get sprung mattresses (we didnt have a sprung mattress even at a 4star) but bed linen is changed daily. At the end of the day, all we do is shower and sleep there, you will find you are always out in Goa, its not like a lot of other holiday destinations where you are pretty much stuck to the hotel other than going on out trips.

10. Re: Need help deciding whether to go please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 17:19