We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
313 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

My daughter & i have just submitted holiday slips for my 2 eldest grandaughters aged 13 & 9 to go to Goa for 3 weeks, & now basically sitting tight awaiting the back lash from school. If it had been 2 weeks i would'nt be too bothered, it's just there's not much difference in cost to go for 3 weeks. Also i'm thinking if we are going to get into bother for 2 weeks, we might as well do 3 (in for a penny, in for pound). My argument is going to be that India is education, cultural, etc., Anyone else out there taken children out for 3 weeks.

Julie

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

Hi Jools, I did in November/December for 3 weeks. Although my daughter is only 5 the school requested it in writing and were fine about it and DID actually look at it as being an educational trip (which it was because she learnt a lot) as opposed to 3 weeks on the costas! My view was the same as yours in that another week won't make any differnce.

London
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

This has absolutely nothing to with India or Goa but more to do with you wanting sympathy and support for taking your children out of school. I agree that prices for most holidays skyrocket whenever a school holiday comes around. I agree that in the long term it probably wont matter too much in terms of your kids education. Interesting that you want to stretch it to 3 weeks based on financial reasons. As a teacher, I know that many parents who are guilty of this at least try and be reasonable by extending a school holiday; in other words they will have their 2 weeks away, one of which is a school holiday.

3 weeks out of school is a lot and its effect will increase if your children are academically weak. Please dont bother with the old cliche 'but we'll take some school books with us and make them do some work'....

Edited: 21 January 2010, 16:54
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

The problem with going to Goa is that the season is from November - April so unless you don't want to be fined or end up in hot water with the school its best to stick to the half terms or Easter. Only problem then is that the cost increases. We never had a probelm with the school because my daughter is so young, and yes we did take english and maths books with us so she learnt more academically and culturally during those 3 weeks anyway. But I get your point.

Delhi
Level Contributor
730 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

Hi,

The main expenditure is the flight. So if you calculate, then 4weeks will be even cheaper!

But I am not supportive of kids missing school for a holiday. The school days are the formative years and if you lose this time, you will never get this opportunity of learning ever again.

Irrespective of whether the kids are good in studies or weak, they should not miss school unless they are ill.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
313 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

I'm not wanting sympathy or support at all & why would I, its a holiday not a death. I'm asking for other peoples experiences of taking children out of school for 3 weeks. Also they are not academically weak, on the contrary they are very intelligent children. I'm not planning to ask for work to take either, as the last time school failed to provide my eldest grandaughter with any work to do & never replied to my emails requesting this.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

Alternatively take them away during one of the many school holidays and minimise disruption to their learning.

Or just go for two weeks. Saying "A third week won't make any difference" I'm sure it won't for you but it will for them.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

go for it .my english neighbours took there kids round asia aged 6 and 9 for 1 year .

been back a year now and all good ..in the long term 3 weeks won't make any difference .have fun ..

just asked my wife ,who is a teacher her opinion,she also say's no probs ,go for it..

aldershot u.k
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

I personally beleive children learn a lot more(holiday or not)when they travel to third world countries. Yes it is a holiday but to the children it will be a lot more. They will see what children in other countries haven't got, they will hopefully realise that they are a lot better of and more tolerant of people that come to our country. I am sure Jools that if you wanted to as part of a day out and about pop into a local school, maybe take a few bits about England and our life maybe some photos.The local children would enjoy your visit. (see a local Taxi driver) This is only a suggestion.

Morecambe
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

oh my god . lol , i dont think the lady wanted sympathy she was only asking a simple question . i say go ahead and take them , i took mine as u know for all them weeks and kids grades were FANTASTIC .

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
875 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking children out of school for 3 weeks to visit India

This is one of many reasons that I don't want to have any kids myself as through no fault of their own they become very restrictive .

It's not always as clear cut as being able to take kids out of school when the school holidays are on - I have known colleagues having to argue it out with the school because work commitments simply won't allow for them to take the kids out when the school permits. Not to mention every sod going on hols at the same time because the kids are off creates staff shortages.

They are at school for 15 / 16 yrs - so long as they are not close to exams or anything then what the hell does 3 weeks really matter