We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

indian rupees

High Bentham, N...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
indian rupees

We are going to Goa in March and have been advised the get our currency when we arrive. Is it best to take sterling to change or use an ATM. Also where is the best place to buy currency in England.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: indian rupees

The Indian Rupee is a closed currency therefore it is illegal to take currency in or out of India. You can change Sterling at your hotel or there are numerous other places to change it, there are also a number of ATM's available depending where you're staying.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: indian rupees

I got some rupees from Thomas Cooks though as bindoobaba has advised it is actually illegal to take rupees in and out of India and they can be confiscated. I only ordered £20 so I had enough cash to pay for the taxi etc when I arrived. The exchange rate was very low so it's not really worth trying to get hold of any in the UK.

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: indian rupees

Carry some GBP and change it in India. Also use a credit card extensively. Avoid withdrawing from an ATM because of the withdrawl charges.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,350 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: indian rupees

With a Nationwide flex account the charge is just 1%. ( no charge at all within europe) this is more than made up for by the exchange rate they give, always more than local exchanges.

Wouldn't be without mine.

Definatly don't use the hotels for exchange, they ALWAYS give you less. there are plenty of exchange places to use.

BOB.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: indian rupees

We always take a mixture of sterling travellers cheques and cash purely because I don't trust ATM's and TC's are covered if they are lost or stolen.

High Bentham, N...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: indian rupees

Many thanks for your reply, We have a Flexi Account card and will do as you advise.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: indian rupees

Yep flexi card is the way to go !!!!!

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: indian rupees

deffo way to go, it was very safe and guarded and only one person allowed per transit. keeps me in check so i dont spend tooooooo much as i only take out a set amount each day, although this may change this year as we staying further awayfrom cash machine. maybe thats why my OH booked there????lol

9. Re: indian rupees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2010, 07:15