We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advise needed first time to goa

uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
advise needed first time to goa

Hi my partner and i want to go to goa in october and would like some advise on which part would be good to go to we are a young couple who like to snorkling / fishing also like staying in nice hotels, i have been looking on thompson and thomas cook websites today and they keep saying there are no flights to goa this year can anyone spread some light on this

thanks in advance

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advise needed first time to goa

It's probably because the charter flights don't start till the begining of November.

John

England
Level Contributor
22 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advise needed first time to goa

Hi me and The Mrs have just returned from Goa for the first time. The season starts in November so this will explain why you didn't get a quote from the holiday companies.

Like you two, we also like nice hotels and stayed at the Highland in Candolim. Goa is a beautiful region, but a stay here won't add to the experience. Breakfast consists of stale bread and eggs, the rooms are basic and clean, the pools a bit manky, and overall i felt like I spent 2 weeks in a low grade Benidorm hotel.

Candolim is a bit similar in my opinion, if Karoke is your thing you'll love an evening out here.

As i said at the start Goa is beautiful, buy your self a copy of Lonely Planet Goa Beeches, this will point you in the right direction. It came in handy showing us some beautful beeches such as Mandrem further north.

Most of the tour companies push Candolim Bagga and Calangutte as destinations, look further afield -

If we return we'll consider staying in South Goa - quiter and better hotels etc.

Anyway everyones entitled to an opinion, each and to there own etc. All i'm saying do plenty of research buy the book and you won't go far wrong.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advise needed first time to goa

Hi Less,

The season runs from November to April so there are no charter flights/holiday packages until November. The monsoons dont finish until September. Goa is a fantastic place, to me its like no other holiday destination and there are plenty of attractions but I am afraid snorkelling is not one of them. I have been snorkelling once in Goa and didnt see a fish, the currents are strong and visibility is very poor. Also you will not get the standard of hotels you will find in other places, there are 4 and 5 star hotels of course but generally hotels are basic although clean and very friendly. Saying this, unlike other holiday destinations, most people dont spend any time in the hotel other than to shower and sleep, its just a base, in Goa you are out and about all the time.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advise needed first time to goa

marney, the main tourist season to Goa is from November to April and that's when the charter flights operate. If you want to go in October you will need to travel on a scheduled flight. There are no direct scheduled flights operating into Goa from the UK so you will need to change planes. Is there any particular reason why you want to go in October? You will find that the beach shacks won't be built if you travel that early and it might still be quite wet. It would be better if you could go a bit later in the season.

There is plenty of fishing in Goa though it's not the best place for snorkelling as the sea tends to be a bit murky.

If you're young and want nightlife you're probably better going to north Goa which is livelier. The south tends to be quieter and more laid back.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advise needed first time to goa

Think we were all replying at the same time lol.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advise needed first time to goa

lol yes, its nice to know I am not the only one about at the crack of dawn lol

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advise needed first time to goa

October is out of season and the monsoons have only just finshed so a lot of clearing up going on

The charter flights only operate in the tourist season November to April, there are no direct sheduled flights to Goa so have to fly via somewhere else and it takes a minimum of 12 hours from the UK

Goa is not good for snorking as the sea is rough also Goa is better known for its cheap basic hotels and guest houses. There are some "nice hotels" with their own grounds in the south and a few in the north around the CCB strip

8. Re: advise needed first time to goa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 06:16