We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa Animal Welfare Trust

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Goa Animal Welfare Trust

For those people who are interested - we sent out our first ever email appeal a couple of weeks ago, with a follow up message this afternoon and I'm gobsmacked at the response. If anyone on here has been kind enough to donate, then thank you again from everyone involved with the charity, and of course from the animals.

At this time of year the temperatures at the shelters are pretty horrendous, and it's made a huge difference both to the staff and to the comfort of the animals now that we've been able to have fans installed. Just the covered walkway to go now so the staff can still give the animals some exercise even in the torrential monsoon rains.

And if anyone would like details, then please pm me.

Apologies to TripAdvisor if this doesn't strictly cover travel and tourism, but there's been a lot of interest on here over the years in the welfare of animals in Goa.

UK
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa Animal Welfare Trust

Thanks for all the great work you do GAWT.

I have just joined your facebook page and, after years of using the shop, it is good to see the trust is making an impact on an almost desparate situation.

Keep up the good work.

Edited: 20 May 2010, 01:47
Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa Animal Welfare Trust

Hi,

Just one question.

We were in a bar in Colva last month where the Gawt were holding a meeting.A number of items were donated to the owner of the bar including televisions,dvd player etc.By the sound of it these items were paid for by donations to the Gawt,could you just clarify whether this was the case.

Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goa Animal Welfare Trust

No, it’s not correct.

The television and satellite system was originally bought by one of GAWT’s volunteers with a view to letting GAWT pay for it over time. Various events (on the telly) – football matches etc – have been held regularly in the bar, Goodman’s, which has been a long-standing supporter of GAWT, and donations from each event have been given to GAWT which have gone to pay back the original cost of the system. Now that’s all been paid back (all above board – papers and receipts available to be viewed if necessary), all the cash received from Goodman’s on football, cricket or film nights – which is a percentage of the takings – will now go straight into GAWT funds. GAWT now owns the TV and satellite system, lock stock and dish.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,447 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa Animal Welfare Trust

keep up the good work :-)

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa Animal Welfare Trust

Meant to also say that the handing over ceremony you obviously witnessed last month was the telly and all the paperwork being handed over to GAWT, not Goodman's.

Wing
Level Contributor
181 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goa Animal Welfare Trust

We were at that meeting in Goodman's last month and it was clear that the proceeds from the equipment would now go to GAWT for the welfare of the animals in Goa. The person who initially purchased the equipment is a great guy and has raised a huge amount of money and devoted loads of time to this cause.

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa Animal Welfare Trust

Ok that's all i wanted to know.I'll give a donation next time i'm down in Colva.

John

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa Animal Welfare Trust

Have also joined the facebook group. I shall make a point of visiting to donate in December. Nothing quite like seeing the shelter to inspire a bit deeper digging in the purse!!

london
Level Contributor
659 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goa Animal Welfare Trust

its really great work and i would love to set up a direct debit is that possible. One of the best things to me in goa was the lovely dogs and I m sure the beech dogs are suffering now.

Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goa Animal Welfare Trust

Yes I really feel sorry for the beach dogs. They're encouraged to stay on the beach by well meaning but misguided animal lovers.

With very little shade and drinking water, the conditions on the beach are very unsuitable for dogs and these poor creatures are being encouraged by the tourists who feed them. If you must feed and fuss over the dogs then do it away from the beaches so they will be encouraged to live in more suitable surroundings.

By feeding dogs on the beach you are encouraging them to stay in an enviroment where they could suffer heatstroke or dehydration.

Giving food to the dogs helps to sustain a large dog population in the tourist months. As the season closes some of these dogs migrate into the villages and kill the locals livestock to survive and become more aggressive as food supplies dwindle. As a result some of the villagers shoot or poison them.

Please think about the consequences of your actions toward these creatures. Your'e only in Goa for a relatively short period but your combined actions can have dire results toward these animals.