We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't know if I dare say this but.....

Preston
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Don't know if I dare say this but.....

I truthfully don't know whether to book Candolim in January or try Sri Lanka.

I love Goa but this year I couldn't move at times without tripping over some drunken oafish russian-you know the ones I mean! and you can't seem to get away from them.

And then THE SHIPWRECK, what is happening there. Are they breaking it up on the beach? I love my beach shacks of an evening watching the sun go down and then two or three for the road. Am I to dodge this asbestos whilst doing this?

Come on folks, tell me I'm being a miserable owd git for no reason PLEASE!

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't know if I dare say this but.....

There's only you that can make that decision but judging by your complaints it looks like you know the answer all ready. You shouldn't need any persuading but here's a suggestion, if you're fed up of the shipwreck why not try another area instead of Candolim.

Ashton in...
Level Contributor
206 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't know if I dare say this but.....

Don't do it! It's probably unfair of me to comment, as it's 16 years since we went to Sri Lanka, but back then there was absolutely NOTHING THERE! We stayed in Negumbo, where the shacks were just - well - shacks. No bars, no restaurants, no people, not even in the hotel (Brown's Beach). Actually, the hotel had a bar and a disco, but as the 4 of us who were holidaying together were the only guests who seemed to want a drink or two after the evening meal, there were no bar staff. We did hire a van and driver and had a brilliant day touring - tea plantation, elephant orphanage, temples in Kandy, but other than that we just caught up with our reading during the day at the hotel pool. No one lay on the beach even though it was Bounty ad pretty, as there was nothing to sit on. It was good for a stroll in the sunset or for watching fishermen launch their little boats, but if you're a (north) Goa type of person it won't be enough. Honest.

Edited: 08 June 2010, 20:36
Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,545 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't know if I dare say this but.....

Everybody should be forced to go some where else every few years because once Goa has got it's hooks in you it's the only place to goback to but when you go back every year without a break you remember all the things about the place that you did not like, unless you have been somewhere else to learn what it is that makes Goa special to you

We was lucky in the fact that we had travelled to a lot of somewhere else's before we went to Goa and Goa should not be compared to them as it is only Goa that we return to far more often than is healthy in nearly normal people.

Edited: 08 June 2010, 22:58
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't know if I dare say this but.....

Hey miserable git has to be Goa everytime. Been travelling to Goa for 2o odd yrs and is most definitely my favourite place to visit. Get out of Calangute/Candolim and try other areas such as Manderem or Agonda. I went to Sri Lanka last year and whilst I did enjoy it I much prefer Goa. Sri Lanka didnt have the same sort of atmosphere, not a great deal to do and nothing outside most hotels. The choice is yours maybe you need to try it to again appreciate Goa. Good luck.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't know if I dare say this but.....

OK, ozthatwas.

maybe you should alter your thinking a bit. what about trying south Goa. we went to cavalossim this year, after 8 visits to the north, and had no such trouble with any of the nationalities.

Its much quieter granted, but still goa. Got all the usual things, good food, better beaches than candolim and Baga. Lovely people,and nice trips to go on. Quite nice in fact.

BOB.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't know if I dare say this but.....

Sri Lanka is very nice and there is a lot to see there, we did a weeks tour and then 12 days on the beach and it was great. However, had we not done the tour I would have been very bored by the end of the first week. Sri Lanka, where we went anyway (Beruwela) is not at all like Goa in that you can go out and walk around, particularly in the evening, there were no restaurants and bars like there are in Goa. No shacks on the beach. Our hotel was on the beach but the beach was sealed off as soon as the sun went down, we did insist the security guard let us out one evening, which he did but called another security guard who was ten paces behind us the entire time we were there. I dont think you ae being miserable for no reason, but I dont think you will find what you are looking for in Sri Lanka.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't know if I dare say this but.....

I agree with Bob, never had any problems with any drunken oafs of any nationalities when we were in Cavelossim in January and there's no shipwreck on the beach either. "Quite nice" is a bit of an understatement IMHO, but maybe Bob doesn't want too many people moving down from north Goa and crowding us out lol. I've never been to Sri Lanka so can't compare the two. I wouldn't mind trying it now that the trouble has ended though I'd want to go to Goa as well and can't possibly fit in (or afford) 2 winter holidays lol.

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't know if I dare say this but.....

im surprised to find another old git as i thought he lived with me, (only joking dear ops!)

we had thought of going elsewhere 2011 but just re-booked for Goa again. would only make 3rd time though. Think to try south would be a good idea. but has to be a choice only u can make....

my bet is goa ....

Preston
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't know if I dare say this but.....

you're right folks, I'm not thinking straight. I never even thought of going south, I've always gone to Candolim.

Cavelossim?

Recommends please for January. Sod Sri Lanka.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't know if I dare say this but.....

Mmm - this is probably a dangerous thing to say on here - but doesn't anyone get bored going to the same place over and over again? Mind you I have been to Sri Lanka but not to Goa so can't really comment as yet. Goa might get its claws into me when we go in November but I always think there are so many places to see in this world and not enought time (nor money lol!). Its up to you Ozthatwas