We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

birmingham
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

Hello!

I am travelling to India from UK with my partner in Aug! We fly to Mumbai where we will spend 3 nights there and catch a train down to Goa.

We havent the first clue where to travel to, what to see and where to stay! We want to see the wildlife parks, ride elephants, see the beautiful beaches, is this achievable? I have already seen some cheap hostels/shacks on the beach,looks incredible! Starting to realise it is a big place, be good to map out a rough itinery. If anyone has done a similar trip and can offer any advice, id be really grateful! Thank you

Allie x

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

There are people on this site that reside in Goa, they may well be able to give you some idea of what to do or see. BUT, August is well out of season, so there won't be much holiday maker orientated going on.

BOB.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

Hi Allie,

As Bob said, August is the monsoon season so it will be wet and very little going on tourist wise. A few hotels and restaurants will be open but the beach pretty much a no go area with no shacks and the trips such as elephant rides will not be operating. The season is from November to April although there would be a few domestic tourists during the monsoon, it would be better if you could go later in the year.

Dragonfli

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

You may be lucky with the weather in August as last year wasn't too bad.However Goa is virtualy "closed" for business at that time of year.You will find a few places open in each resort but hardly anyone about.If you are after peace and quiet you will love it,but otherwise try and change your plans.

John

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

and also mumbai : july and august are characterized by days of non stop rain and weeks of no sunshine.

not the best month for mumbai and goa.

i would base my indian holiday around the weather. other parts of the country have better weather this time of the year.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Mumbai

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

hi

yep that time goa is a no go-er

birmingham
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

Thank you for the great response! All good advice - we haven't booked anything past mumbai so will look into alternatives! Thanks again x

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

Get your self some Diamox and head for Leh in the Himalaya, it's mountainous desert area and one of the few places that gets nice weather during this time.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

Agree with Cyberhippie, Goa and Southern India will be very wet to say the least - head North. Delhi, for sightseeing ,Amritsar perhaps in the North East to see the Sikh Golden Temple, Jaipur for desert colour a bit further down ,East to Dharamsala very pretty mountains also Shimla. All depends on time and budget really.Absolutely loads of places that can take a lifetime to see. Wherever you go it will be interesting. If you have not been to India before, I would keep it simple though as depends how open you are to very different cultures from UK and Europe - can be a bit of a jolt for some:)

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

If you could change your flight I'd advise you to fly into Delhi, as well as some of the Himalaya, places like Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan can also be considered, sure it will be hot and humid but it won't rain all the time. And both states are chock a block with things to see and do.

Toronto
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August- 2 and a half weeks in Goa, advice needed

I am flying into Dehli at the same time in August for the first time.