We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goaitis - Is there a cure

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
Save Topic
Goaitis - Is there a cure

I have been suffering with this condition for several years now. As far as I can make out, it is a parasitic disease, and once it enters your system, you have no chance of recovery. I have found that the only way to control the illness is by booking another trip.

A large amount of people are afflicted with this condition, but some people have been found to have a resistance, and can quite happily holiday once, and not need to visit again.

Symptoms of the disease are:

Gazing longingly at the Kingfisher bottles on the shelf of your supermarket

Taunting the fishmonger with the phrase "Call them things king prawns? They'd be called shrimps in Goa mate".

Watching every TV documentary connected with India

Comparing expensive meals in your local Indian restaurant with the cheap and cheerful fare of your favourite beachshack.

At the moment, there is no know cure for this condition, but the officials in Goa seem to be trying their best to come up with one!

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goaitis - Is there a cure

Oh no Mobor one it looks like I have been infected too.

bolton
Level Contributor
363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Goaitis - Is there a cure

mobor i have suffered the same symptoms for several years now even rang nhs direct they could not diagnose the cause now i finally no what ive got goaitas i hope the dont find a cure soon i think the travel companys are trying there best £1300 this year for the same holiday we were paying £700 for a couple of years ago

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,399 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goaitis - Is there a cure

we have it too :-))

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,477 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goaitis - Is there a cure

Lol Mobor, I agree the only way to control it is to get your next trip booked - preferably within a week of returning home!

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goaitis - Is there a cure

I know the feeling - I had a spell of it in the late 1990s and then I was in 'remission' for a few years.

This time last year we booked and then went in January. i can't wait to go again next year - I'm even dissappointed when there is not much activity on the forum.

I have to have my daily fix...lol

Manchester
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goaitis - Is there a cure

I'm a sufferer too, not looking for a cure, just going back!!! Viva Goa

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goaitis - Is there a cure

Been suffering from this for three years now. What is disturbing is that the time between the cures seems to get longer each year. I note others cure this by taking their medicine more than once a year! Sadly I can only afford a single prescription :-(

However there is a temporary fix on the telly tonight...Monsoon Railway BBC2 9pm ... been on before I think? But it will keep the symptoms suppressed for a little while longer!!

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
981 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goaitis - Is there a cure

Oh Dear i have succumbed to this illness too,it's weird that it's contagious and seems to be no cure.Roll on feb 2011 to have my annual treatment,LOL

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goaitis - Is there a cure

Yep, me too. Unfortunately it's a chronic rather than an acute condition, and it lingers for years. 24 in my case. I fear there is no cure. Even withdrawal for several years only meant more books on India consumed while suffering cold turkey, and an inexplicable desire to explore larger parts of the sub-continent as soon as possible. I find the effects of the disease to be seasonal, and at their worst around November/December time, getting better in the spring and summer. Something to do with the pollen, do you think?

wirral
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Goaitis - Is there a cure

were hoping to catch it in feb , if we win a few bob i think we will be major carriers by next week.

Edited: 23 July 2010, 15:31