We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampi

Lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hampi

Hi All

After reading some recent information on Hampi, my girlfriend and I wish to do this trip when we go in November!

Here lies the problem, I have been looking at trying to DIY for the last couple of days and the trains are a nightmare (or I am just a bit thick!) and I am unable to fathom the system out.

I fear that if I leave it until we get there, booking a train may be difficult as I know how busy it gets.

So, a few questions:

1) Do we contact an agent in Goa (Candolim) to do this for us

2) Does someone have an idiots guide on how to book train tickets.

3) Any ideas on a nice (but not to pricey) hotel in Hospet?

I have looked on indiamike and the train number from Goa to Hospet mentioned on his website, no longer exists!!

Fingers crossed.

Tony

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampi

I always go by the overnight coach to Hampi.Lots of pick up places in Goa. The coach drops you at Hampi.So many rooms for rent in Hampi. If you drive a scooter you can hire for the day there or bicycles . Your get bombarded with children saying they will get you a room but they add on money for their commission. Its nice over the river for rooms but your stuck as by 9pm the speed boat stops to take you back. Well worth going to Hampi just to have a meal in the Mango tree restaurant .

Edited: 28 September 2010, 09:19
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampi

How long does the coach take imhoaisi? The train was a great experience and that was 10 hours each way!

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampi

We went to Hampi by train and that was long enough! Very interesting views from the train and nonstop food supplied on the way. We enjoyed the trip very much.

I've forgotten the name of the hotel we stayed in, but it wasnt very good! No aircon, and you will certainly need it there, much hotter than in Goa.

Give yourself at least 2 days there to see all the sites and interesting things in Hampi.

It was a wonderful experience and we would go again.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampi

About the same time.You do get stops for food. We had a great coach going there.I know it wasnt Paulo coaches but the coach we had the seats was like a double bed.I got really ill in Hampi and so did every one else in the place we stayed at.Toilets were going all night and no one had eaten in the restaurant that was in the grounds of the rooms. I wont go back to Hampi again <done it 4 times now> The places is covered in Cows dung. A room we looked at you had to step in it to get into the room. Dont think it cost more than 700rs for the coach.We got the coach from Mapsa.Rooms in Hampi go for 300rs +. Our were 350rs but it was a stunning view and every room had a hammock outside.Electric goes off daily there.

london
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampi

www.seat61.com is a great guide to train travel.

Click on India and it's all there for you including pictures of the inside of the carriages.

www.irctc.co.in is the government train info/booking site.

I booked all my train travel on the www.cleartrip.com website, it's great and really easy to use (easier than irctc in my opinion).

Don't forget, you can only book overnight trains up to 90 days in advance and day trains 30 days in advance.

It helps if you know the train number before booking, and bear in mind that some trains only travel every other day. Hope this helps.

Train travel is great in India, especially overnight trains. You'll get chatting with some great Indian people and nothing beats that moment when you've just woken up in the morning and you walk to the end of the carriage, and look out over the countryside at dawn.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampi

I find it easier and cheaper to travel by coach. As its cheap to get to Mapsa to catch coach. In Goa you have to get to Train station,Tivin or whats it called. The train drops you at Hospet so you have to get a taxi to take you into Hampi, the coach takes you right into Hampi.

Only problem is its a scary trip driving on those roads

London, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampi

I used cleartrip to book loads of train tickets earlier this year. It's really easy to navigate and you don't need to know the name or number of the train in order to find out the routes/price/times of trains. If you use the other website IRC something you need the name or number of the train you want to travel on.

Seriously, do it yourself, it's so easy.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hampi

Absolutely fantastic guys!!

Cleartrip is the way, just need to find some accomidation now!!

Any advice here would also be welcome!

Much appreciated.

Tony

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hampi

You may refer www.hampi.in

london
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hampi

If you go by train and it is an early start back to Goa. What ever you do do not stay over the river as the drive takes about two hours and is not very pleasant. If you stay on the side of the town it takes 15 minutes or so..