We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa for Foodies

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Goa for Foodies

Hi All,

My wife and I are making our first trip to Goa in just under five weeks and are getting very excited – We are travelling a bit the fortnight we are there and have accommodation booked in Candolim, Dona Paula, Panaji (1 night) and Agonda.

While we holiday we really enjoy experiencing top quality local food and drink so was hoping you wonderful TA users may have some suggestions! We generally prefer places which aren’t tourist centric and that offer something traditional – and we would not mind journeys up to an hour for exceptional fare.

Any recommendations please let me know…

Thanks

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa for Foodies

hi

While in Panjim try, Viva Panjim, worth a visit great food not expensive, we went last january and met 2 Canadiains there who had read about this place in the Lonely planet, they where staying north at Morjim and travelled down by taxi for a meal.

They do Goa food, great curries etc.

Ask directions sorry i cant give as went by taxi its down a little alley way.

Enjoy, we did

Mims

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
982 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa for Foodies

Hi

That's like asking for 'top quality local food and drink' in the Glasgow-Edinburgh-St Andrews region, only there will be a lot more eating places in Goa...

Just as in Scotland the variety of dishes on offer in the good restaurants won't reflect what used to be the traditional fare in Easterhouse or the tenements of the Cannongate ;-)

Goa's tens of thousands of eateries are mostly aimed directly at providing international-based cuisine for the tourists, both from India and abroad.

So there is a different high-class dining experience to be had every day for several years, let alone two weeks. All will involve 'local' produce, very little will involve 'local' recipes. :-)

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goa for Foodies

Try Hotel (it's not!) Venite Restaurant in the old Portoguese quarter of Panjim while you're there - interesting food - great place!

Enjoy!

North Wales
Level Contributor
268 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa for Foodies

Hotel Venite great place for a beer sitting in their Romeo and Juliet balconies but the food is not good.

For local Indian cuisine the Delhi Darbar around the corner is brilliant.

There are loads of superb eating places around the Candolim area, you can dine very well trying all sorts of international cuisines.

Our favourite was Sublime in Saligao and the Thai in the Mira Hotel in Calangute. Enjoy !

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa for Foodies

Thanks for your help everyone!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
327 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goa for Foodies

The Shari Punjab in Panjim does good Indian food not tourist food. The restaurant in the square not the snack place of the same name. It is usualy full of Indians, I have not seen any other Europeans in there when we go.

Edited: 13 October 2010, 13:24
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa for Foodies

Hi RobAdair try Arabian Nights and Madhu when you are in Agonda both serve fantastic food.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa for Foodies

In Panjim, would recommend the Hotel Sher-e-Punjab's restaurant. Food is fantastic - best tandoori chicken we have ever tasted.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goa for Foodies

I wouldn't recommend the Delhi Durbar - I think it's extremely expensive for what it is, and the food is north Indian, not Goan. I would go with the recommendation for Viva Panjim though.

Also if you have time, take a visit to the Palacio do Deao (www.palaciododeao.com) in Quepem. If you book in advance, they'll cook you dinner, and the food is totally unlike anything else I've ever had in Goa. It's fabulous.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goa for Foodies

Hi LGG I agree with your comments about the Delhi Darbar being overpriced. I have put the Palacio do Deao on my must try list after you recommended it to me earlier on this year.