We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Topic
Monarch

Hi, we are flying with cattle class Monarch again this year. Booked extra leg room last year, but this year my OH refused to pay £160 for the emergency exit seats!

We noticed last year that there were some seats to the rear of the plane in two's............ does anyone have any idea how to secure two of these, is it just a matter of being first to check in, or are they reserved for people whi have paid for "seats together".

Cheers.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch

Those seats at the rear are designated as Extra Legroom too so you'd have to pay for them.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch

hi,,,get seats aross from each other,, ile seats , / think i spelt that wrong,/ will have to pay, but you can strech your legs out

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch

Why would you have to pay for aisle seats?

AFAIK, you can't choose your seats with Monarch (and they don't pre-allocate seats as TC do) so as long as you get to the airport early enough you can ask for window or aisle seats.

At Gatwick Monarch have a generic check-in for all flights so you're not (usually) limited to the 3 hours before departure.

We've flown to Goa many times with Monarch and always used to ask for window seats (and always got them). The last 2 times we asked for aisle seats - and got them.

I think the only seats you have to pay for are Premium and Extra Legroom.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch

Thank you for your replies.......... I can't believe Monarch charge the window seats in two's out as extra legroom............. that's a bit of a cheek! :-)

Oh well, at least I'll get there direct............ beats an 8hr stopover in Mumbai!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch

Jet

A few year ago, those seats weren't classed as extra legroom, we always used to request them.

However, I think Monarch realised that these seats were popular and saw a way of making additional revenue from them.

I don't for one minute believe that when they started charging for them, the legroom was any more than when they were classed as ordinry seats.

EDIT:

according to Seatguru, those seats are not showing as extra legroom so maybe they've changed the designation.

They were definitely ELR in March this year, you can tell by the seat headrest colour.

London
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch

We paid extra to get one of the two lots of seats towards the back of the plane. I can't remember how much it was but I was so glad we did. We did have extra legroom and it was nice to have the 2 seats and not have to climb over everyone.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch

We've paid £36 for seats together, I think............. it would be a bit steep to charge £80 for these seats as extra legroom. Oh well, plenty of time to stretch out when we get there :-)

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch

Slightly off topic........

I enquired about Premium with Monarch for when we go in March, £290pp!!!!!

I think they are just getting greedy now

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch

isle seats give you more room, to strech your legs think about it ,,,,,better than beeing stuck in the midd of three seats or cramed next to the window OK if your like a rake,, no good for the goa strech with the dreaded MONaaa and if you want you pay,,,,,,the amount of cheeky buggers that see you sat on a isle seat and say could my husband, swap seats with you///he beeing stuck in the midd or by the window/// he canot strech his legs its better were you are sitting on the isle seat for ,leg room , and be very suprised, when you tell them you payed for it ,,,,,,,,its just some people will not pay extra for nothing,,,, as for gretting first in the line up for cheaking in. , you may get what you want or you may not ,, its the luck of the draw ,hope your a bit wiser now , but on that ride to goa, put your flyt socks on . and book a desent seat, ,if you got the cash , dont forget as thay say you canot take it with you ps, some cheap flits with monark, now 260 pound,, with 15 k bagage, in with the price,,,get a good seat with he cash you save ,,,only prob is there from,,gat,,byeeeeeeeee

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch

Bazz

whilst I agree with you that aisle seats give you more room to stretch out, you DON'T have to pay extra for ordinary aisle seats on Monarch - and if you HAVE paid extra then I think you've been ripped off - BIG STYLE.

As for the A330- 200 that Monarch use on their long-haul routes, aisle seats in main cabin (rows 9 - 37 seats C, D, F & G and rows 38 - 46 seats D & F) are standard seats - which do not attract a premium.

And with Monarch from Gatwick, the earlier you get to check-in the better chance you have of getting the seat type you want.