We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Threads about Visa applications.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
555 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Threads about Visa applications.

Mods, would it be possible to have a sub-folder or something within the Goa forum specifically for posts regarding Indian Visas?

It perhaps would avoid frequent information requests on this veatious (for some!) subject.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Threads about Visa applications.

It would be difficult as the visa application process changes so often.

It has been mentioned before though

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
555 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Threads about Visa applications.

Regarless of how often the Visa application process changes, surely to have a single place to look for current info or ask for advice could only be helpful.

(It would also be less boring ........)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Threads about Visa applications.

Hi NorwichCurrylover, without trying to sound offensive, if you find the subject of visas boring, then just don't look at them.

It would be virtually impossible for a sticky as it's not the mods who edit the visa information when it changes and as far as I'm aware, us members do not have this privilege.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Threads about Visa applications.

Norwich, it would be about as successful as herding cats!! It seems less and less that people in this particular forum are using what's already been posted as a resource - the answer is often just a few posts below. What ever happened to using the search facility or looking at the hotel reviews that people have taken the time to post before firing off what are sometimes random and not quite travel related questions?

Personally, I think the information and guidance notes on the VFS website are fairly clear particularly when yone considers that the single visa application form is designed as a pro forma for all the different categories of visas that are available to applicants, rather than exclusively for a tourist visa. That is possibly one of the reasons why some of the fields seem a bit odd in relation to a one-off tourist visa. And why oh why people feel they need to start up a thread to let everyone know when their visa arrives is quite beyond me .....

Personally, I don't think a sticky would make any difference as I don't think, based on the general practice now, that all that many people would read it before posing their question regardless. Perhaps the answer might be for the Destination Experts to prepare a visa FAQ section and post it to the section entitled 'Frequently Asked Questions About Goa'. Any of the Destination Experts who have an interest or feel they have some expertise in this area can update that section as and when anything significant changes. But would anyone read it??

Edited: 19 November 2010, 22:52
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
555 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Threads about Visa applications.

London - Oh how I agree with all of your points! The large number of seperate threads on this topic make the forum , at best, irritating, and as for telling the world 'your' visa has arrived........

Meercat20, it's difficult to avoid the damned things - every page it seems has something about b****y Visas!

When I first applied for ours, it was with not a little trepidation, since I had 'done my research' on here. Once I had finished, I couldn't understand what the fuss was about!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Threads about Visa applications.

I think panic sets in with a lot of people when filling these applications in. They come across a stumbling block in the middle of the application and want help quickly and a new post often generates quicker replies.

I can see the problem with the numerous threads about visa but personally they dont bother me, visa's are one area where I know that I can often helpout. As for the threads regarding Visa's back well thats just a sense of relief. There have been two recent posts where the poster has lost out on a holiday due to not having a visa in time, I think that is on a lot of peoples minds.

I have only been a member on here for a few months, what attracted me to join up was the friendliness on here. On a number of the other branches if a question is asked repeatedly most of the replies are really cutting and sarcastic, and god forbid if you did something wrong all you get is a load of well what you expect etc, whereas on here in most cases peoples questions are answered patiently and without any sarcasm. Long may it continue.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Threads about Visa applications.

A lot of members probably post whilst going through the Visa application, and sometimes they have a problem that is unique to them, not a general question. For instance somebody recently asked, about their parents having different names. By starting off their own thread they are more likely to get a quicker response/reply. If there was just one long thread re Visas, then I'm sure this would become boring and members would be less inclined to read it.

I suppose every forum has it's fair share of 'Irritating' subjects, I wonder how many times the London Forum is asked about something like Travel Cards or Oyster cards ??

So if you don't have any interest in a Subject don't open it, Simples !!!

And as for Woooooooo Hooooooooooooo my Visa has arrived or Yessssssssssssss only 1 more sleep threads, it's all part of the Banter that makes the Goa Forum one of the friendliest places to be.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Threads about Visa applications.

Dreamingofgoa has hit the nail on the head, we must have been posting at the same time ;-)

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Threads about Visa applications.

Don't think I will dare post on here now when my visa arrives lol. I am reading all the visa threads at the moment as I'm going through the process and I do find it useful knowing how long people's visas are taking. Although I've never had any problems to date and found the process relatively straightforward (though I do use the handwritten forms as find it much quicker) I always give a sigh of relief when I've got my passport and visa back in my sticky little mitt and can understand that feeling of relief and wanting to tell the world (well those who love Goa) all about it :-)

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Threads about Visa applications.

Someone will be asking to have a sticky about Malaria and anti malarial drugs next.........;-)