We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuk tuks..

U.K.
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tuk tuks..

With the cost of taxis rising again,have the 3 wheelers gone up too?I remember a couple of years ago most of the Calangute drivers would'nt move for les than 200rps to Candolim.There were 4 of us then so taxis were easier,but with only the 2 of us this year i would imagine tuktuks will be cheaper.Any advise on costs to/from Candolim to Calangute,baga,Old Goa etc would be much appreciated.Will use buses for the daytime travel though!!

U.K.
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuk tuks..

bump!!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuk tuks..

Last year i was paying 50 rupees from calangute to candolim in a tuk tuk they saw you coming i think

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,202 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuk tuks..

We paid Rs100 from Candolim to Calangute in a tuk tuk last year , so must have seen us coming too...lol Dosen't help you with this years prices but atleast it will get your question back to the top of the pile.

London
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuk tuks..

Well it depends where you start in Candolim and finish in Calangute. Before Christmas I would pay 70 rupees from Newtons to After 7 restaurant in a Tuk Tuk.

As a rule of thumb, I would pay about 60-70% less in a TT than in a cab.

It helps if you always have the correct change.

U.K.
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuk tuks..

We were staying near the Kingfisher villa.Would not entertain them at 200,but one of them would always follow you up the road with a half price fare.Do agree with a post a few days back about not tipping taxis/tuktuks,they are overcharging at whatever price you agree on.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuk tuks..

We were in Calangute over Xmas/New Year and couldn't get a tuk-tuk to take us to Candolim for less than 100 - their loss - plenty of good restaurants and bars in walking distance in Calangute/Baga where we'd rather spend the 200 return fare!

x

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
983 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuk tuks..

We paid 100rupees last year from nizmar calangute to pheonix park candolim in a tuk tuk.But we nearly paid with our life,the driver had a death wish and must of wanted us to go with him.

lancs
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuk tuks..

They are called rickshaws in India , tuk tuk is more a thailand word though more or less the same vehicle.

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
983 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tuk tuks..

Even the locals call them tuk tuks!

Stockport, Cheshire
Level Contributor
426 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tuk tuks..

Just got back from Calangute, stayed at the Cononia De Braganza, taxi's both at the hotel and on the road outside wouldn't generally move for less than rs.150 to Candolim (Stonehouse end). Managed to get one once for rs.100 though.

One taxi driver wanted rs.200 to the Santana as he was insistant that it was Sinquerium. However, once we arrived I pointed out that an address on a jewellers shop 10 yards further along the road was indeed Candolim so the most I would pay was rs.150.

2 more tricks the taxi drivers are ramping up this year is the "I have no change" and also "the fare is more today as petrol prices have risen" - LOL

Some local Rickshaw drivers do indeed mistakenly call them 'Tuk-Tuks', just as some local shops call their cheap bags 'Radley'.

Mike.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 07:32