We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going it alone???

brum
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
going it alone???

hi, dont want to depress everyone with my tales of woe, but!!!!! here we go. ihave a holiday booked travelling on the 18th march staying at the marinah dourada for 3 weeks, which was meant to be celerbrating my 50th, well my husband has had some sort of midlife crisis, and decided he dosent want to be married anymore and needs time out! there ive said it now. that was hard. but i intend to be strong and get over this in my own way. but i cant make my mind up if to still go on holiday on my own???? one minute i think yes i will and just sunbathe and relax give myself time to think what to do wih my life now, or take a friend with me but not sure if i would be able to spend 3 weeks with a friend after only ever going away with my husband, and dont even know if i myself would be good company at this time for anyone else. this would be my 4th time in goa so i do know what to expect. second time staying at the marinah. have tried to cancel hol but would now lose all the money paid. just looking for bit of advice really. is 3 weeks too long to be there alone and would it be safe enough?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going it alone???

BrumGail

What a dreadful shock for you.

If he is happy that you can use the holiday already booked, then YES YES YES - do go.

Only you can know if you'd get on with a friend, I guess it depends how good friend a she is. If she annoys you sometimes, think about possibly spending 24 hours a day for 21 days with her.

If it will be her first time in Goa, she might not want to spend time on her own.

Are you an independant sort of person?

Are you a chatty person?

Lots of women do travel to Goa on their own - and you have been before so it won't be such a shock.

Would you be ok getting to the aiport on your own and flying alone?

I always strike up a conversation with the person next to me on the plane.

I would feel safe there, you only need to be careful of where you're walking late at night.

I'm sure you'd get talking to people in beach shacks and restaurants.

Tough decision for you, let us know what you decide to do.

london
Level Contributor
659 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going it alone???

Go go go. Might just be the kick up the butt he needs to realise he is making a big mistake and give him time to miss you. Also life seems a lot better when you are in the sunshine but I think you should take a friend if you can

Go for it girl

Good luck

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going it alone???

Brumgail I am so sorry to hear your news

Only you can decide if 3 weeks away in these circumstances is right but from a safety aspect I don't think you would have any problems at all. I am sure that if you needed some company you will

Find it especially if you use the same shack each day.

Also you could always pop along to one if the meets, Holiday Truths have one also on a Wednesday at the Cavery and TA is on a Sunday at Jamalaya.

What ever you decide I wish you luck

Edited: 30 January 2011, 11:16
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going it alone???

Go - and enjoy your 50th birthday and your new life!!

Sunbathe, relax, think (but don't worry) about your future and how great it will all be.

If your friend wants to come along, fine, but don't go stressing about that. If she doesn't , phone up your tour company quickly and try to convert that second ticket into a flight upgrade so you get a bit of pampering on the journey.

Safe? Absolutely. Easy to travel on your own? You'll be surprised just how easy it is!

Enjoy - and let us all know what a positive adventure you had .....

Edited: 30 January 2011, 11:18
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going it alone???

He'll soon enough realise what he's missing but by then you'd have gone to Goa and come back (a much stronger you) and then, you won't want him back! How does that sound?

Go for it, you may even meet someone more interesting in Goa *wink*

I know it's easier to give advice than to follow it...wish you all the best in whatever you decide.

- Sandy

brum
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going it alone???

thank you, thank you , thank you. for all your lovely replys you have all made me feel so much better about everything. .i promise i will keep you all informed on what i decide to do. but at the moment i think i will go. i dont mind flying alone, i think i am am quite independant, i dont think i am really chatty though until someone speaks to me. but i think i can do this. anyway i have got just over 6 weeks to decide for sure. i am off to walk the dog now on my new exercise regime to lose a stone before i go. maybe my life starts at 50. once again THANK YOU. my day feels better already just knowing i have had this chat with you all.x

colchester
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: going it alone???

Go For It. I too am going alone but for different reasons. My husband passed away last year. I need a holiday, so I'm going. Think of it as your next big step. If you don't take it you might never have another holiday. Thats the way I'm looking at it. Hope you enjoy and relax. I'm hoping to.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: going it alone???

Go for it as Goa is good for the mind, body and soul. You'll return with a new vigour.

brum
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: going it alone???

thanks lulu i am sorry you are going for them reasons but i wish u well too. are u going before me? would love to hear how u get on . its right what u say about it being next big step. and i feel i should take it and come back a new woman. yes goa is good for mind body and soul. and sun. and happy people.x

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: going it alone???

Gail, this holiday is just what you need I think. To get away from grey, cold old UK, for three weeks in India will be bliss, I'm sure.

As you've been before, you must know that you can relax and watch the world go by, or go by with it in Goa. Everyone seems to be so much friendlier when there, tourists, locals.

IMO, you will gain confidence and strength from this experience, so have a happy birthday and good luck. It's his loss!!