We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip report--at last!

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
My trip report--at last!

Had 2ft snow 2nd & 3rd Dec. was worried we wouldnt get to airport.Anyway the taxi ride down to Manchester found the M62 clear, a different world. When we arrived at Manchester for our 4.30dep. with Qatar, there was freezing fog,so they had to de ice the plane, which made us 45mins late dep. The flight was great to Doha, 2hr wait then on to Dabolin. The next plane was small, and people had probs. getting to the loos which were only at the back, and the isle was full of trollies del. food!! Anyway we landed 30 mins. late and the airport was empty, straight through and into Taxi, after only 30mins. They wanted 900R with it being 4am, but we said no we will give you 700r and walked away, they said okay 900R on reciept but give taxi 700R, So he got 750R --50R tip! We arrived at Ticlo about 6ish, went straight to room (booked it from prev night) so we could get a sleep. Gotupat 9.30 went for brekky, and said hi to all the staff we knew from last year, Alsdo met a few couples from last year. We decided to go and get Indian sim sorted for phone(so glad we got that done)! and get hydrating satchets and room plug inns & odomos. Saidwe could wait for tomoz. togo to beach! We had a lazy day people watching eating & drinking at various bars, had an evening meal in hotel, and an early night.

Woke at 8am next morning and had to waken Jimmy ( was unusual) He woke up sweating the bed was absolutely soaking, thought nothing of it and he had a shower. We went down for brekky, but after 5mins Jimmy went back upstairs. I thought thats funny he never said why, so i followed him, when i got there he was vomiting and sweating profusely, then he went grey and said his arms were like lead, so i checked hi pulse-very weak, so went to ask reception to phone Dr. When Dr, arrived he said hed had heart atack and will be admitted to Campo hosp. in Panjim. What a shocki had I was in a state of panic going all that way for this to Happen OMG. He was there 3days, then they decided to trans. him to heart hosp. in Margoa, for Angiograph, 2hrs away!The hosp. and staff were fantastic, in ICU there was a nurse for every patient, i felt in the way, so i travelled the 2hrs every day to visit. At least i could have a rest in the hotel. In the end he needed to have a stent put in the blocked artery, so he was a very lucky chap, and they saved his life literally! He was a week in that hospital, then allowed back to hotel. We were lucky to have booked for 10wks. so at least he could recover in the sun for rest of hols.

I have never used a mobile, and hadnt a clue what to do, but the lads on reception helped me out and got me top ups when needed, they were absolutely wonderful and so were all the staff, i cant thank them enough.

At last we started our hols &We got to go down to the beach our 2nd week in a tuck tuck to the CSM rd. so he hadnt far to walk to Bonnies shack and Big Banana. He could now start his convelescence on the beach wher it was warm, and not freezing like in England!!!! We nerver got to go to any of the markets, but theres always next time!!

In Jan. we had booked from home to go for a week down south with a couple we met a few years ago. We stayedin the Mobor Beach in Canvossolim. We loved it, a lot cleaner and quiter than the north, and the beaches was nice and quiet. We enjoyed ate in a few diff resturants, then on 3rd day i was confined to my room for 2days with the trots! I couldnt believe we went all that way for me to get ill. Soo we mist out on Bettys boat trip, which i was looking forward to going on. I think a week was longing enough to stay, was nice to get back to reality!! But everyone is diff. Another thing is evry thing goes quiet at 11pm (beddy time) no good for me im a night rake!! We will def. go there again for a week if we go back to GOa This year. Jimmy isnt quite sure yet if he wants to, but ime sure he will change his mind in time.

We enjoyed about 6 Sundays at Jamalaya, nice to meet Tom & all the rest from last year. They were all concerned for us and offered to help in anyway, which was good knowing we had someone on hand to talk to, Thank you all very much. Was dissappointed we missed all you T.As on the 12th, was looking forward to seeing you all again! just shows you dont know whats round the corner!

All in all we enjoyed our 10wks.()apart from what happened),and the time went by so quickly, i am so glad that we did it, and wont let it put us off going again. Regards Sheila & Jimmy x

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip report--at last!

What an eventful holiday for you both! Glad you did enjoy it though and many thanks for the trip report.

Hope you are both fighting fit now.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
8,609 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip report--at last!

Hi Sheila. What a report! Hope your husband is ok. Will he go to his Doctor for a check up? I would be inclined to. Glad you enjoyed the holiday nonetheless.

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip report--at last!

Thankyou sheila for your report, i hope your Husband is feeling better know, i cant emagine how nerve racking it most have been for you both. :)) Gel

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip report--at last!

What an adventure! I was horrified to read what happened with your husband....

Hope he's doing fine now...

- Sandy

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip report--at last!

Hi you certainly had an eventful holiday. I am pleased that you still had time there to give your Hubby time to recover before facing the journey home. I think your experience is most peoples worst nightmare but reading about it, it's kind of reassuring that the healthcare over there is fine but it must have been a he'll of a stressful time for you.

I'm glad it hasn't put you off Goa and I hope you get back there soon.

Wishing your Hubby a speedy recovery.

Edited: 17 February 2011, 18:29
Greater London...
Level Contributor
393 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip report--at last!

Hi Sheila

Sorry to hear about Jimmys heart attack, it must of been awful for you, my hubby was also ill for the time we were there and ended up in hospital on our return for 3 weeks, I found it all quite un-nerving and I think we will stick to Spain from now on, bit closer to home !

We are off to Spain on the 6th March, will you be going to Beni still ?

Tell Jimmy we are really glad that hes ok, Julie & Haz x

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My trip report--at last!

OMGosh what a thing to happen! Sincerly glad to read you both coped .... and got to recoup in the Indian sun!

Hope all is well now,

Susie.x

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,441 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My trip report--at last!

I was really sorry when I heard about Jimmy's heart attack Sheila, but it sounds like they looked after him very well in Goa and I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your holiday - apart from having the trots in Cavelossim! I hope your hubby has made a full recovery.

Heckmondwike, West...
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My trip report--at last!

Hi Sheila so sorry to hear about Jimmy's heart attack and really glad that he's on the mend and you were able to continue with your holiday, the same thing happened to my uncle 2 years ago and he had to have a stent in the same hospital, all went well for him and he's now back to normal infact he says he feels fitter now than he has in years, he would go back to Goa tomorrow but my auntie still has a few reservations. At least you were in a great place for him to convalesce and you still managed a trip down south.

By the way many thanks for putting us on to qps travel we got our visas sorted with them and it was totally hassle free, will definitely be using them again.

Take care DebyC

Edited: 17 February 2011, 22:29
dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My trip report--at last!

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes. Yes i was a nervous reck for a week, i dont know how i coped. My daughter was already to fly out to be with me, but i told her not to as he had already had is op.& ihad the support of friends in hotel what we met last year. Hubby is on the mend now getting his strenghth back slowly in this cold weather.!! We went to G.P. for check up and has reffered him back to cardiologist ( he had a quadru by pass 16yrs ago) We have been given the go ahead to fly to Benidorm on 7th March, some more sun will do us more good than staying at home. and hey you havnt to let things put you off flying again!

Deby c Glad to hear you were happy using QPS travel,it is worth the extra being hassle free!