We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

uk visitors in decline tru or false?

durham
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
uk visitors in decline tru or false?

last year when we were in goa we were informed the uk visitors were in decline due to this travel agents were pushing for increased number from other countries,due to ill health we have not been able to visit this year has anybody any input?

essex
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: uk visitors in decline tru or false?

Hi, We went in mid Jan and it was definately quieter than we have experienced before. There were other nationalities there as well but not in great numbers. I did read that the Goan travel industry was trying to encourage Americans to visit. I don't know if there was an increase later in the season. We stayed in Arpora near Baga. Lx

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
224 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: uk visitors in decline tru or false?

hi got back april 20th stayed 2 weeks and never known it so quiet in april even taxi drivers sayin how quiet it was and uk tourists down

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: uk visitors in decline tru or false?

I think numbers are down, state of the economy i reckon!!!!.Also there seems to be a lot of greed taking over in Goa at the moment.

I also read that Goa was trying to encourage the Americans to visit. That really could be quite interesting when it comes to reading the hotel rateing section of the forum, WOW!!! some Americans slate of the big posh hotels in Las Vegas as "s--t holes, what they will think of Goan hotels.the mind boggles.!!!!

I just cannot see the Americans takeing to Goa some how.

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: uk visitors in decline tru or false?

True

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: uk visitors in decline tru or false?

Hi

April could have been quiet as very hot then,

We used to always go April wouldn't think of it now after trying other months.

There is still a lot of flights coming in from the UK.

Cant see it catching on to the Americans, Goa would have to be refurbished.

Mims

durham
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: uk visitors in decline tru or false?

yes agree the last time we stayed we had no hot water for best part of two weeks staff even offered buckaet of hot water to wash hey thats part of the fun in goa that would nor sit well with the friend from over the pond.

is it true the prices are on the increase?

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: uk visitors in decline tru or false?

Flight only certainly is and some of the brochure prices have gone through the roof. Our taxi driver said it had been a very quiet season although it seemed busy when we were there in Feb. Makes no difference to me if numbers are up or down as long as you can get there for a price wihin our budget. Only problem is that taxi drivers and some reataurants etc seem to have inflated their prices to make up for any shortfall in their pockets.

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: uk visitors in decline tru or false?

The season basicaly went like this

November : quiet

December : Very quiet

January : busy

Febuary : busy

March : quiet

April : very quiet.

John

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: uk visitors in decline tru or false?

Amongst the long timers the number of Brits is well down mainly because a lot have decided that the grass is greener elsewhere or have got fed up with the forever changing visa rules also the two month rule has screwed it up for those who used to go home for Christmas and come back early in the new year

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: uk visitors in decline tru or false?

I've never known Goan's who run businesses in tourism to say anything other than it's been a quiet season, even when I've been there for the entire season and know it wasn't so.

Goa's problem is too much of everything, and not enough tourists to fullfill the dreams of all those businesses.