We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Massages in Goa

Mumbai, India
1 post
Save Topic
Massages in Goa

We will be travelling to Goa next month (wife and self). We have read that there are masseurs on the beach who give massage. We request following information.

- Are the masseurs male or female.

- Will they come to the hotel room to give us a massage (modesty is a slight problem with wife on the beach specially if the masseur is a male).

- Are they professional?

- What are the approximate charges?

- We have seen some videos on youtube where ladies have hired male masseurs (looks normal), still we would like to know from people with first hand experience.

- We are looking for a decent massage and do not want to get on the wrong side of law.

We will appreciate any advise / suggestions and really hope to hear any first hands experience.

Gabriel & Rita

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Massages in Goa

I am guessing but as most, if not all the beach shacks have been taken down, the staff have left and it was mostly the staff that carried out the massage.

Yes, I have never seen a female "beach" masseur only male and I am guessing again but I would say they hold no qualifications at all.....just experience.

There are however quite a number of "Spa's" in Goa offering massages and from memory, they do offer a hotel visiting service. Whether they are male or female...I don't know.

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Massages in Goa

Hi

IM O You pays yer money and you take your chances on the qualifications and skills of ANY masseur in Goa.MY son in law who has qualifications that include that service watched a beach massage take place and his comments are un printable.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Massages in Goa

I certainly wouldn't invite any "masseur" from the beach back to the hotel room. 99.9% probably don't know what they are doing so could prove dangerous especially if you have existing orthapaedic complaints not to mention the risks inviting strangers back in the first place. You need to visit a proper spa where qualified practitioners are.

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Massages in Goa

mmmmm a massage from some itinerent worker no known qualifications using some god knows what oil whilst rubbing you down with a dirty cloth thats been used on dozens before you this year and last maybe not,and as for inviting a total stranger back to your hotel so he can see what you got and were you keep your dosh,i dont think so

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Massages in Goa

I qualified as a masseur in the UK . I've had a beach massage,and whilst ok he turned out to be a very nice electrician from Mumbai and found he could earn more by providing massage on the beach. As others have said the shack s will be closed when you get there so these masseures will not be available on the beaches anyway.

I would highly reccomend an Ayurvedic massage, there are plenty of places providing these, most practioners will have trained in Kerela, so ask where they trained, I've tried various treatments and they have all been excellent.

It is best to take the massage in the treatment room not your hotel room, a masseur really requires a massage table to provide a proffesional massage.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,058 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Massages in Goa

Go to a proper place for massage and i am sure you will find female masseur for your wife.

deepak

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Massages in Goa

We have had many massages on the beaches of Goa, from male and female masseuses and have all been good, prices range from about £3 to £10 tops

I dont think I would take someone from the beach back to the hotel though!

David

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Massages in Goa

I've seen afew people getting massages on the beach from both male and female masseurs,but sorry i just find it creepy !!

John

Sheffield U.K
Level Contributor
996 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Massages in Goa

Hi

I dont know what your hotel is but all the hotels i have been in which is quiet a few dont allow third parties in your room, i would endorse goangal when she/he said go for a Ayurvedic massage i dont think you would go for wrong they would more than likely have there own private place as well which would suit your wife.

David

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Massages in Goa

£3 to £10 for a massage with a sweaty rag. The honeybee has a lot to answer for.