We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa Visit

Oxford
Level Contributor
104 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Goa Visit

Hi all,

Im thinking of booking a trip to Goa in Feb 2012, possibly for 2 weeks with maybe a few days in Mumbai first.

Can anyone tell me which area of Goa is best for a couple in their late 20's, who would like some nightlife but not all night parties everynight, with a good beach and decent choice of bars / restaurants.

Is it cheap to travel around Goa. Maybe if we stayed in one area but wanted to visit another for a night out?

I have only just started considering Goa so i know nothing at the moment.

I am a bit concerned that it may be a little too lively, i dont really want the Indian version of Magaluf or somewhere similar!

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Dan

manchester
Level Contributor
845 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa Visit

you certainly wont get an indian magaluf in Goa. In the North you have Baga liveliest of the area, Calangute less lively and Candolim even less lively. All of these places are within easy reach by taxi and the fares are reasonable to say the least. Lots of good bars and restaurants and if you want more secluded beaches you can get to Mandrem Beach Morjim and asvem beach all north of Baga also you can visit Old Goa and the waterfalls plus the spice plantation. Arpora is another area close to Baga which I prefer although not a lot of bars It is closer to the beaches I have mentioned.A taxi for the day with driver should be about 800 rupees approx £11 for a full day. Always ask driver for price first and I am sure people on here can give you advice about South Goa. I personally do not know a lot about the South. Good luck and enjoy. If you need a reliable driver with own car just message me on here.

Paul

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa Visit

As said, it's very cheap to get around Goa, the best places for you would be Baga or Calangute. Both resorts have many bars and restaurants to choose from and Baga has a couple of night clubs, there's also 2 night markets and a day market in the neighbouring areas, all three have live music and some fantastic food from all over the world.

Please note, you will need a visa for visiting India have a good look at this official website for all your visa information and application :- in.vfsglobal.co.uk

Should you need anymore help and advice just ask.

Edited: 17 August 2011, 16:34
3. Re: Goa Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 August 2011, 18:05
UK
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa Visit

akadaniel, this recent discussion should let you know a bit more about some of the places in north Goa. My advice (as long as this isn't deleted like the last post) is to head south.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k4…

Colva, Benaulim and Cavelossim are ideal for your wishes, to name a few.

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa Visit

to get to south Goa from North is only around one hour forty five,its not a big state

Scottish Highlands...
Level Contributor
148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goa Visit

As someone who has been going to north Goa for the past 17 years, my advice to you would be head south. The main tourist areas in the north, Baga, Calangute and Candolim have changed almost beyond recognition in the past few years, we stay in Candolim, I wouldn’t stay in Baga if you gave me a free flight and accommodation.

We stay there because we know all the best places to go, I certainly wouldn’t recommend it for a first timer.

Hopefully a south Goa forum expert will be able to advse you on the best place to stay south. Agonda would be my recommendation.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,477 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa Visit

I think Agonda might be a bit too quiet for the OP, Cavelossim would probably be a good place to start with maybe a couple of nights in Agonda.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa Visit

Dan, just to give you an idea, as a young couple, North Goa (Baga/Calangute) will suit what you're looking for. As I mentioned, it has a couple of night clubs down Titos Road as well as a number of late bars and restaurants. As you move away from the area Baga goes quieter and more refined. On the way to and in Calangute you'll find more bars offering various 'entertainments' and restaurants serving a variety of different foods. Candolim is a quieter resort than it's two neighbours but still has a number of bars and many restaurants. The beaches in these areas although they're not as chilled and relaxing than the South, are still fine for doing nothing.

Although the North is livelier than the South it isn't exactly San Antonio in Ibiza.

manchester
Level Contributor
845 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Goa Visit

Well said Bindoobaba I could not have put it better myself. Although OOP north has changed beyond recognition it is probably better suited for this couple given they need a mix of bars and nightlife etc.

Ps @ goasoul if you get an offer for free flight and accomodation in Baga please pass it on to me..as my philosophy is owt for nowt..lol

Edited: 18 August 2011, 10:13
Scottish Highlands...
Level Contributor
148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goa Visit

Goamanc,

If I get the offer you are more than welcome !!