We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best places ever visited in india.

england
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
best places ever visited in india.

We all Love our trips to goa,but India is so big and vast.also fairly cheap and easy to get from one place to the next.so where else do people like.city wise not to keen on delhi but enjoyed time spent in mumbai.found the slums a worth while visit to see so many buisneess under one roof.agra as the amazing taj mahal but other than that not that great.jaipur i loved for the pink city,amber fort and galta monkey temple.not to keen on bikanear but visited the rat temple but nothing special.liked jaisalmer which as a nice fort and camel safari in the desert.jodhpur did not like to much but another nice fort and busy market area.as for kerela had four days in cochin and nice houseboats but area to quiet and hardly anywhere sells a beer.

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best places ever visited in india.

chelseawolves

Try Varanasi (Benares), city of Shiva - the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world........one of the most incredible places you will ever visit! There's nothing remotely like it, anywhere in the world!

Wolf

Edited: 14 October 2011, 16:20
blackpool
Level Contributor
578 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best places ever visited in india.

We visited Mysore a few years ago and places such as The Maharajah's Palace, Seringapatam where you can visit The Tippoo Sultans Fortress (where the future Duke of Wellington first made his name), Summer palace and Mausoleum.

But strangely enough the most enjoyable two parts of the trip were a visit to Mysore Zoo where WE were the most popular attractions and a visit to a huge (and very good) water park where watching the Indian kids play was a joy to behold.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best places ever visited in india.

chelseawolves

I absolutely loved Mysore. A really pretty city with a fantastic palace in the centre, if it is still lit up on certain nights it is worth catching as the effect is just beautiful. One of my favourite memories of visiting Mysore is sitting on a roof terrace above a busy market area and watching the sun set, flocks of birds shooting across the dimming sky - utterly magical. In Mysore besides the palace there is Chalmundi Hill to visit and around Mysore the temples at Hospet and Belur. The Keshava Temple outside Somnathpur - this was soooo peaceful, hope it still is. Last but not least the impressive Buddah at Sravanabelagola, an awful lot of steps but very much worth the trouble. One to miss in my opinion is Brindavan Gardens, however this could simply be because we visited in the evening and all I remember is running at breakneck speed through more mosquitos than I've ever seen before or want to see again.

sam

blackpool
Level Contributor
578 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best places ever visited in india.

Hi, yes we went to Chalmundi Hill, or at least I think we did if it's the place with the statue of a god with a sword and a snake and a statue of a bull?

I agree about Brindaven Gardens, way too busy.

The climate there is fantastic, about five degrees cooler than Goa and you can see why they call it The Garden State.

We stayed in a great hotel called Pradesh The Prince. Payed about £45 a night and well worth it. It was strange to walk barefoot on a carpet in India.

Edited: 14 October 2011, 18:05
blackpool
Level Contributor
578 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best places ever visited in india.

Payed....doh

england
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best places ever visited in india.

Thanks will add mysore to list of places to visit.end of jan we are starting hol with two nites at Amritsar to visit the golden temple.then looking at varnassi in 2013.would like to go on toy train upto darjinling.excuse spelling lol.seems close to nepal so have to make sure not crossing border with visa.

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best places ever visited in india.

You can also take the "toy train" from Kalka to Shimla (old summer capital of the Raj). It sounds romantic, but for "toy train" read "very small, very cramped train that you need an oesteopath to straighten you out after the journey" train! The advantage of ths train to Shimla (awful place, don't stay there) is that you can take a bus to McLeod Gang, where the Dalai Lama has his gaff and is the seat of the Tibetan Government-in-exile. Another wonderful, spectacular place!

I must say, IMHO, Himachel Pradesh is much more beautiful, spiritual and interesting than Darjeeling (unless you're fanatical about tea!).

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

Wolf

Edited: 14 October 2011, 18:34
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best places ever visited in india.

I really enjoyed Pushkar camel fair. Very vibrant, exciting and colourful. India at it's best. I also love Mysore palace.

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best places ever visited in india.

For those interested in Military History - how about a trip to The Little Big Horn Battlefield where all those Indians Massacred Custer? :-)

Trouble is I've never been able to find it on a map!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best places ever visited in india.

Hi towerpower,

Yes Chalmundi Hill is the place with the bull? Nice to know there's other people out there that enjoyed Mysore.

sam