We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa - What a Difference this year

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
427 reviews
Save Topic
Visa - What a Difference this year

Last year we had a nightmare visa exprience with VFSGlobal. Nothing wrong with the forms or photos but it still took nearly a month when our passports disappeared into a black hole of untrackability due to their malfunctioning tracking system. It was one of the most stressful experiences of my life especially as our departure date started to tick nearer and nearer. This year we have a few overseas trips before we go to Goa at New Year and I couldn't face the stress and hassle of sending them off to them again. Did some research on the web and in the end picked a company called VisaGenie. OMG what a difference. For a start they actually communicate with you throughout the process and give you a telephone number that isnt a premium rate moneygrabber! They present you with a very simple questionaire to fill out online that they then use to fill out the visa application form on your behalf - so no mistakes. They can make your photos the right size if you want. I posted my passports off on a Tuesday. They emailed me to say they'd received them the next day, emailed me on Friday to say the embassy had them. Emailed me Monday to say they were on their way back and I got the passports and visas this morning (Tuesday). Did it cost me more than VFS??? Yes it did. £24.95 per visa. Was it worth it? YES YES YES!!!! I am conscious this reads like an ad for Visagenie but I am just so delighted with the service that I had to let you know. Maybe things are better with VFSGlobal this year. But if you have a limited time to get your visa or if things start to go belly up as the stystem clogs up with the Xmas rush, do give Visa Genie a try rather than endure the hideous wait.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa - What a Difference this year

I found the application easier this year (thanks to Meerkats post)..done my own photos..( thanks to Badgerlad)...and back in about 9 working days. No stress whatsoever. But I suppose it could have gone t.ts up. You never know with VFS,even if you get an agent to do them... until Postman Pat arrives with them,with your right visa inside. Think it all depends on which person at VFS deals with your application.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa - What a Difference this year

hi alli,,see you go no replyes,,thay dont like you doing your owen on this site,,,,,,with that menny sent back,,dont know why do you,,,wew like you use a visa agent,,sayes a lot of probs,,,we used CLOUD 9 TRAVEL,,its in preston,,like youn most done over the phone,,,,there charge is 60 pound per visa all in,, a fiver for spesh delivery,postsing back to you ,,if you canot get it,form there travel shop, your self,,,all in it cost us 125 pounds for the two with postage,,,,rupes well ,spent have a bood trip bye,,

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa - What a Difference this year

alli,the EDIT button not working on my com,,,,,so you must not take eny nottice of my, mis,,,will deff have to go to specksavers one day,,bye..

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa - What a Difference this year

alli, looks like tony,,got in first,,,must have been ,one of the lucky ones with his visa ,maybe its what time you got left in the day to mess about filling one in,,and how menny times you done it,,,

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa - What a Difference this year

Hi Tony, glad it went well for you! What a relief to get them back eh??? It ought to be a simple enough process but what with that form, their horrible internal system, the number of times they chop and change the rules.... etc etc it often isnt. I dont think its so bad until maybe we get to November and the volume really begins. Last year I noticed thats when the turning point seemed to come, coupled of course with a big change in the rules and system on 23rd November was it?? Well, good luck to everyone this year. I go on the 27th December and absolutely can't wait. Staying until 10th March - a kick off to my husband's retirement. By them time we get back from Patnem we'll have forgotten what work is :) As long as we don't come back to frozen pipes like we did last year!!!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa - What a Difference this year

Hi Bazz. It's not the case at all that we don't like people using agencies on this site. It's entirely up to the individual if they use any agency. Many of us just state the fact that agencies cost alot of money. Much more than doing the application yourself.

And there aren't that many sent back. There are far more positive outcomes than negative. I think the main reasons why some are unprocessed is due to not signing or not following the photo specifications to the letter.

If one follows all the information given and thoroughly scrutinises the VFS website, then the procedure is dead simple.

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa - What a Difference this year

Yes indeed and your instructions are excellent and very clear. And indeed it does cost more to use an agency. However, not everyone is good with the keyboard or dealing with online forms and for them, the agency is an alternative if they can afford the extra 20 odd quid each. Personally, as I say, I had no problem last year with either filling the form in correctly or getting the right photo etc. My problem was that the VFS online tracking system collapsed and I couldnt see my application at all. Now, unless things have dramatically changed, once things start to go a bit wrong down there, it is very very difficult to actually speak to someone who can help you - not to mention the fact that a phone call is costing nearly £1 per minute!!!!

I'm all for saving money, but sometimes spending just a bit extra can be worth it. Especially if you are on a tight deadline or if you are not a confident computer user or form filler. Just wanted to make the point to other forum users that there are alternatives to the do-it-yourself method and the choice is yours.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa - What a Difference this year

Ijust did them and found it very easy compared to last time...only problem I had was my printer runing out of ink and they have come out half pinky purple Oops

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa - What a Difference this year

My printer won't print anything in black for some reason. I printed the car parking confirmation at the weekend and only the blue part printed - rolling eyes. The printing part will probably be more stressful than filling in the form!

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa - What a Difference this year

Bazz, it's not that people don't like anybody using visa agencies on here it's just the option of doing the visa application yourself and saving yourself money as it's expensive enough appiying for a visa without adding extras to the cost. Plus some people might not have the money like you might have. By explaining how easy it really is we're merely pointing the person in the direction of doing the application themselves and saving themselves a few bob, it's called being helpful.

PS don't forget your appointment with Specsavers.