We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Tablets

cardiff
Level Contributor
441 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria Tablets

This year I was considering not taking Malaria tablets from my GP and instead buying them as soon as I get to Goa from the local chemist. Has anyone ever done this and do you think it will be ok?

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Tablets

Hi Debbie. We always buy them from Goa for the following year but you do need to start taking them a week before you go so will still need to buy some over here.

cardiff
Level Contributor
441 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Tablets

what a good idea ! I hadn't thought of that. Also, the ones I want to take (one a week instead of every day) are super expensive here, £90 !!

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria Tablets

Don't forget that Malarone is not available in Goa.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria Tablets

As London Goa Girl says the 1 a day ones are malarone and you can't buy them in India.

Edited: 07 November 2011, 14:18
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Tablets

Don't think there are any one a week tablets only the ones in the Paludrine/Avloclor travel packs and you should take both the weekly and daily tablets in these. The travel packs are cheap at around £12 for enough for a 2 week holiday.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria Tablets

we get them there for the following trip too.

But you must take them for the week before you go so just get a weeks supply then the rest when you are there but like said before malarone arnt available there yet.

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
430 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria Tablets

We had malarone last year. We were advised we needed a private prescription in order to get it as its not available on the NHS. It was quite expensive. This year the advice at our surgery is Paludrine and Avloclor. Available over the counter without prescription and much cheaper

As June says you need to be taking them before you go and sadly for 28 days when you get back.

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria Tablets

two weeks holidays worth of Paludrine/Avloclor costs £10.15 at brennans how much do you think you will save buying in goa might even be asprin plus they need to be taken 7 days before arival

London
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria Tablets

You do not need a private prescription to buy Malarone in the UK if you use the internet. You fill out an online form on some websites, and get the tablets straight away through the post.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria Tablets

I've noticed some online pharmacies charge for these ' consultations' to get a prescription. I was on one the other day and they even wanted to charge £10 for a prescription of P&A when you don't need one.

Edited: 07 November 2011, 18:04