We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport

lancs
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
passport

i am renewing my passport as it will have less than 6 months before i travel. just wondering if i have to send the old and new passport when I apply for my visa.

thanks for any info

Heckmondwike, West...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: passport

No just the new one.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
7,753 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: passport

Hi fleetydan. The answer is no. Just send your new one.

BUT - make a separate note of your last visa number from your old passport as this is asked for on the visa application.

lancs
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: passport

thanks a lot for that.

england
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport

Hi we was in the same boat,but for safe measures we handed in old and new passport and got them both back ok.you have,nt got to do this and just like meerkat says take note of old visa number as this will be needed when applying.the only reason we sent old passport was due to another member on another forum being asked for old passport when they applied,plus it shows you have been to India before and issued visas no probs.

London
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport

True you havent got to hand old passsport in with application but I was told by VFS clerk last year when I handed my application in is that sometimes they indeed request to see old passport. So do keep old passport handy just in case.

I think this random check normally applies to citizens of Indian origin or they suspect anything untoward with your application.

Sudbury, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passport

Its worth noting that you only need a clear 6 months from the date the visa starts. So for example, sending now, for a trip in February, it would be OK if the passport needed to be renewed in June, even though Feb to June 1st is only 4 months. This happened to me and I decided easier to get renewal on return rather than 8 months early.

London
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport

The UK passport authority will add upto 9 months unused onto your new passport so I would say best to renew passport. I have read on other forums that even though you have 6 months left on passport when applying for visa, a few people have had problems when they actually enter Indian with less than 6 months left.

lancs
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: passport

thanks for all the replies , I think best to send for new passport, better to be safe than sorry.

france
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: passport

I applied for a new passport as the old one was due to expire in april,and they added the extra seven months on.

have sent for the visa last week and enclosed both passports as it's bettter to be safe than sorry and I find the whole visa thing stressful enough

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: passport

Yeah it took me a while to realise why I had a 10 year plus 3 months passport when i renewed mine....doh.

I had lost my old passport so did have the old visa number but we had done both ours at the same time so I put the date on and just put 'not found' in the 'old visa number' question box and we got our back yesterday...7 days from posting so I was relieved and very happy

(especially as I just took the visa pics against the freezer on my phone and printed them at max speilman.)

Edited: 13 November 2011, 10:42