We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

Louth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

I am just starting to plan my 2013 2-3 month trip to Goa and am getting very excited. There is so much to see and do and I want to cover as much as i can. I want to be sort of roughing it and also like the idea of the odd posh hotel when required. My question is:-

Could I possibly walk/hike the coast of Goa from North to South or vice versa . I'm a reasonably healthy 40 ish. I'd like some feedback on this please, is it possible, is it dangerous, am i being a fool etc etc.

Thanks in advance

David

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

David

What a strange boy you are!!

You're talking about -

1. Temperatures of 35 degs +

2. No really defined coast roads

3. Homocidical maniacs as drivers

4. Well, aren't the first 3 enough?

I think you're absolutely nuts, but I can't help but admire your spirit!

If you do decide to do this, keep us all informed on a daily basis, please - if you survive!

I wish you well!

Wolf

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
428 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

You'd be better making a base for days or weeks at a time and doing day excursions from there, (in my opinion) and then moving on with your gear using taxis or public transport.

It really would be too hot to actually backpack through Goa on foot and there aren't really any coastal paths of any decent length.

In the south you could walk the lanes, say from Patnem through to Palolem and then Agonda up to Cola Beach and beyond. Benaulim village would be a good base to walk or cycle the firmer sands near Colva. In the north you can do some nice mooching around Arambol and down to Mandrem but again it's HOT! The coastal strip near Baga, Calungute and Candolim is a lot busier and it wouldn't be any fun to walk along the roads there for any period of time.

If you're doing two or three months you will have plenty of time to explore and find the place which ticks your boxes as well as visiting Hampi and Taj Mahal type stuff using Goa as a chill out base.

Interested to see what you plan...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

David why not hire scooter/bike, then you can travel at your own pace. Stopping off when n where you want.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

I certainly wouldn't risk walking all that way on the roads, you'd be lucky to make it alive! You could walk parts of it along the beach but I wouldn't fancy walking it with luggage! We walked from Colva to Cavelossim along the beach last year and really enjoyed it but you don't see much apart from the sea and the beach - and the shacks of course.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

Wish that I was young enough to have a go at that...Done it in Thailand, and Malaysia 40 years ago,And I will tell you it was a bit of a nightmare at times, especially when we spent many a night with the compliments of the local Police...and they weren't 5 star, Then running out of money...it was scary at times...eating grass because we were starving and smoking it,and anything else that was on offer.Just to get your mind off the next day.and what was awaiting us.caught a few diseases on the way..

But no regrets, glad I done it..it taught me a lot about life.

Happy days...can't remember half of it. I was 23 when I done it,and very fit.

I wish you all the best if you go for it,but take notice of the peeps on here, as they know a lot more about GOA than I do....And we were all men 3 of us.

Louth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

LOL, thankyou all very much. I think I'll take on this advice and look at other ideas, although i will probably try a little walking!!.I'm reading up quite abit on Goa I know it sounds abit bonkers but i'm resisting looking at online photos/videos of Goa as i know I will get excitement overload and want to go before I'm ready.If i do ask some silly questions please just accept i'm just a big kid wanting to get to the sweet shop!!!

Louth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

Thanks Jane, great advice/idieas that I will start reading up on

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

David, to get from North to South (or vise versa) try using the local bus system, it's fantastic and very cheap. It's not advisable to walk/hike those sort of distances due to there being no decent footpaths in the more rural areas and also the quality of driving is very very poor.

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

Hi

If you like walking, I'm sure you could walk it, you are in no hurry you have 2 - 3 months?

make sure to wear a Hat!!

Mims

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking/Hiking from North to South Goa (good idea or not)

Hi i agree you are more likely to get killed on the roads than to make it,but use the buses work your way down day by day stopping overnight ,or hire motorbike/ scooter,from north to south we are talking 2hours approx