We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

Just received tickets from Jewel in Crown and have been informed that the flight on 14th January from Gatwick is stopping in Kuwait for refuelling. Although we don't get off then, on the return journey 12th February, we "get to stretch our legs" which puts another 2 hours on our journey home. Has this been happening all season? Or are we just unlucky?

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

I posted the other day about this.All Monarch flights are going via Kuwait from January,this was confirmed to us by a Monarch crew last week.

John

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

Sorry John, have been in hospital and just back so didn't read your post. At least I know that we haven't been singled out! We have booked extra legroom seats and I was a little worried that they were changing the plane to a smaller one and no extra legroom seats would be available and I would have to get refund when I got home.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

Just phoned JIC and as far as their concerned our flight in March is direct to Goa from Gatwick.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

I think this is only for 8 weeks, judging by bogmalos previous post. Mind you, we have now been informed by JIC that they have "negotiated" with Monarch an upgraded meal service, free headsets and free comfort kits. Would rather have their sub-standard meal service and nothing else and get to and from Goa quicker! That is why we book Monarch as it is a direct flight!

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

The monarch flights are stopping in Kuwait for the next 6 to 8 weeks.But i can see this being the norm for the rest of the season at least.It's all down to cost savings,the crew who normaly stay at Bogmalo beach will be put up in a hotel in Kuwait (saving money) and the fuel will be cheaper as well.

John

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

I see your flight is a saturday flight. Hopefully thursday flights will be unaffected?? Only time will tell. I feel we are moving back to the old days of fliying to Goa.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

I had a feeling that this might be the last of our Goan winter holidays, and if the flights are going to be via Kuwait, Dubai or Bahrain again, this might well finish it definately for us. Shame. After so many years, I will be quite upset, but hopefully can find somewhere else hot for winter.

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

So in essence, if all Monarch flights are now stopping on route to Goa, then Emirates and Qatar are contenders to get to Goa.

We all now that the service offered by those two is far superior to Monarch...easy decision!

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

Problem is iantwoeyes, is that we live right by Gatwick and it was an easy and cheaper option to take the Monarch flight. Heathrow is further and costs more to get to. But, yes, if we decide to go again, Qatar or Emirates are certainly more likely to get our money that Monarch.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch flight refuelling in Kuwait

Grrrr – just phoned Jewel as we fly out this Saturday but our return flight will be January. They confirmed our flight will still be direct out there on Saturday but that ALL Monarch flights will be stopping in Kuwait from Jan. It is nice to get off and stretch the old legs but it adds on over 2 hours which is a pain. Oh well more reason to book scheduled next year, the direct flight is the only reason we’ve stayed with Charters.

In case anyone else looking at return time in Jan to Gatwick – the 12.00 dep from Goa arrives at Gatwick now at 19.55hrs.