We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

Hi, i am due to go to Goa in January for a 10 week stay, working.

But i am going to have the weekends free to myself to visit places :-)

I am staying near the airport at Bogmalo Beach resort. Just wondering what is the best way to get around?

Are there trains and buses running reguarly around Goa and cheap? Thanks for any help!!

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

The buses are cheap and easy to use and will get you most place in Goa.Alternatives are hire a bike (plentiful in Bogmalo) or get a taxi for the day.No doubt i will bump into you somewhere in the resort.

John

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

Are you staying at the Bogmalo Beach resort John?? If so, any thing i should know??

Buses it probably will be then. So it is quite easy to get to places such as Candolim and Baga, or the south in Margaon by bus??

The bike is defo a good idea to go the local-ish places. Cheers John

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

No, i live here.I assume work is putting you up in the Bogmalo Beach resort ?if not there are better places to stay.

As for Candolim ,Baga etc you would need three buses from where you are staying.

John

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

Yeah my work are putting me up there as thats where i am working. 3 buses aint the best but sure ill get there. Is there anything to to at nights were i am staying, any bars open late, or anywhere to watch the premier league football etc?? Just dont know what to expect!!

Or is it just Baga and Candolim for the nightlife? Also, how much is food and beer out there at 1 of the local restraunts or shacks around my hotel?

Thanks John, big help :-)

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

Clearly John is the man on the spot, but until he responds.... There are a number of bars around your hotel, our favourite is Joets which is the furthest along the beach from where you are staying. They have a flat screen TV and the two brothers who own/run it are fervant football ( Man U ) supporters - wish I'd been there yesterday haha! They have 2/3 games on each Sat and Sun - because of the time difference midweek games dont start until 1.30am. Joets also have live singers on each Friday and Saturday night - Fridays in particular can get quite lively and can go on until the late early hours. Food and drink is considerably cheaper than at home and the food bears little resemblance to your local Indian - again Joets is certainly the best around in our opinion. Might see you in there we are out in Feb.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

Clearly John is the man on the spot, but until he responds.... There are a number of bars around your hotel, our favourite is Joets which is the furthest along the beach from where you are staying. They have a flat screen TV and the two brothers who own/run it are fervant football ( Man U ) supporters - wish I'd been there yesterday haha! They have 2/3 games on each Sat and Sun - because of the time difference midweek games dont start until 1.30am. Joets also have live singers on each Friday and Saturday night - Fridays in particular can get quite lively and can go on until the late early hours. Food and drink is considerably cheaper than at home and the food bears little resemblance to your local Indian - again Joets is certainly the best around in our opinion. Might see you in there we are out in Feb.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

Thanks for your help :-)

Good to know i can have a stroll down at the weekend and watch some football, have a few beers, watch some live music n stroll back to the hotel!!

How much is the food and drink at Joets? Say for a curry and a beer?

Thanks for your help.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

Its been 10 months since we were last there and as others have said on this forum, prices have gone up this year, but last year I think we were paying around 60/70 rupees for a large 600ml bottle of Kingfisher, although they also have it on draught which is preferable albeit temperamental. A typical curry was around 120 rupees - probably can get both cheaper elsewhere but better quality and nicer setting plus the weekend entertainment and company make it worthwhile and lets face it its still dirt cheap compared to here!

9. Re: Getting around Goa for 10 weeks - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2013, 10:24