We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-paid cash cards

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Topic
Pre-paid cash cards

Been into the travel agents today to check out the price of travellers checks.What a rip off !! They said I would be better off with a prepaid cash card(bit of a rip off too,but safe) Has anyone used these cash cards,and are there plenty of ATM's in Calangute.Just don't fancy carrying cash everywhere.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,505 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-paid cash cards

Nicola I bank with the Halifax and if I order my travellers cheques online they don't cost me a penny. Marks & Spencers are usually pretty reasonable too. Our local travel agent charges 1.5% but I know Thomas Cook charge a lot more than that. It's worth shopping around for the best deal.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-paid cash cards

Thomas Cook wanted 3%.Bloody robbers.I bank with Halifax aswell,but not online.Do you know if you can order them in person at the bank.Thanks for your reply.

Wirral U.K.
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-paid cash cards

Cash is still king if you have the nerve to risk it.

I do and have not so far had a problem.

I am however aware that could change very next trip.

All other methods carry a severe financial penalty since Nationwide started charging for their card.

IMHO pre paid cash cards are the worst.

Another warning for anyone considering using a credit card. Google "Dynamic currency conversion" and read yet another rip off these thieves have invented.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 22:48
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,505 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-paid cash cards

Yes you can order travellers cheques from a Halifax branch, I think the charge is 1.5%.

London
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-paid cash cards

Agents seem to be pushing pre paid cards - and the only reason is they must be profitable for them. There is often a charge for the card - charge for loading money - charge for withdrawing currency other than currency on the card as you cannot load rupees on the card - some ATM;s impose further charge.

If you do a google search you will find which providers charge the least commission for travellers cheques - there are some that charge no more than 1 pct. I ordered mine from Saga and was 1 pct.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-paid cash cards

You are so right wanderin_star, I used the Cash Passport card issued by Co Op Travel, its cost £30 to load the card (2% charge) and £1.50 per withdrawal in Goa.

7. Re: Pre-paid cash cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2013, 10:18