We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

Hi guys, i'm going to Goa next week, for 2 weeks. Solo female in late 20s who likes nice and easy vibe, yoga, meeting interesting fellow travellers, enjoying vibrant places with good nightlife (but not for drunken teenagers!) and don't mind spending a few days in a really quiet place just to let go.

I've been reading about Goa and my list now includes:

- Arambol

- Hampi

- Candolim

- Mobor

- Palolem

- Anjuna

- Gokarna

I know it's a lot but it's a "wish list" so might end up doing selected spots.

The thing about me is, as much as I love beach&sun, I don't really do much water sports, and after a few chilled beach days i get bit bored and need to do things, like sightseeing. I love all things Indian, hence planning to go to Hampi. Not so keen on the Portuguese heritage.

What do you guys think about my itinerary? Thinking of starting up North making my way down..

Thanks so much

xx

Mentioned in this post
Arambol
Arambol
North Goa District, India
Hampi
Hampi
Bellary District, India
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
Anjuna
Anjuna
Bardez, India
Gokarna
Gokarna
Dakshina Kannada District, India
lancashire
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

if you are careful and brave it is well worth hiring a scooter the roads are manic round baga and calangute but once out in the country it is great gives you the freedom to discover

Edited: 24 January 2012, 18:10
Sudbury, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

You don't mention where you are based, if anywhere yet.

Its quite a trek from Arambol to Palolem, though just a short drive if it were a UK journey.

Roads South or far North are fairly quiet. Hireing a scooter around the CCB strip requires experience, as roads are very busy.

I personally would consider a do-able if somewhat crowded itinery as follows:

Start South, maybe Palolem or Agonda, and do your beach chill / acclimatise for 3 days.

Hire a scooter, explore for next 2 days.

Hampi - (3 day trip). If planned right, leave from South, return to North, perhaps Arambol - 2-3 days - scooter - explore again.

Move down to Calangute or Baga. Much busier here.

Do any or all of Waterfalls/Old Goa/spice farm/boat trip/anjuna market (with Taxi), 1 or 2 days

Enjoy shack hunting and nightlife for remaining 2 days.

Mentioned in this post
Arambol
Arambol
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
Agonda
Agonda
South Goa District, India
Hampi
Hampi
Bellary District, India
Calangute
Calangute
Baga
Baga
London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

Thanks guys, I'm flying into Goa from Mumbai. So which means perhaps best to start my way from the north? Unfortunately I can't ride a scooter, or even a push bike! (pls don't laugh)

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

And just one more question - shack hunting (is that hunting for a place to stay??) and nightlife hunting - where is best for nightlife? Many thanks

Gillingham, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

I think Stefnwolf's plan is great for you. It dosen't matter that you are coming in from Mumbai - we all have to land at Dabolim eventually!! -and leave from there. Just get a taxi down to Palolem or Agonda (about 1200 rps)

You can still get about by bus or riskshaw once there instead of a scooter.

I think Palolem might suit you better but you can easily visit Agonda.

I'm not sure what shack hunting is myself lol but I assume it means trying them all out - shack crawling perhaps??

Have a great time!

Caramoz

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
Agonda
Agonda
Sudbury, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

Yep, Caramoz sussed it.

Try a few different shacks, they differ quite a lot. Have a walk, visit a few for a drink while checking out which one you want to eat in later.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 18:57
Manchester UK
Level Contributor
429 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

Good shout from Stefnwolf!

I think Palolem would be a good starter for you. Plenty of accommodation in beach front huts and lots of other travellers (rather than package holidaymakers). If you want somewhere quieter then think about Patnem, a walk further south, or Agonda, a short taxi ride to the north. I think Palolem might tick the boxes, especially if you want to be sociable since it does have more night stuff going on.

Hampi is great but I'm not sure how easy it is to get train tickets at the moment and don't recommend the bus. Also, you have only two weeks and it will be a chunk out of your holiday, There is plenty to see in Goa without spending two days travelling inland unless you really fancy Hampi this time.

From Agonda then I would also suggest the trip right up to the northern end at Arambol. More of a hippy vibe there, plenty of cheap rooms, nice to just mooch about.

Not sure whether Candolim would do it for you. Busy and built up; probably a bit of a shock after the more basic pleasures of Agonda/Arambol but some great restaurants and clubs/bars in the Baga strip. Vagator has got a nice feel about it so perhaps you could stay there and visit Calungute etc?

Getting around is easy. You'll find taxis easy and public transport is cheap.

Hope you have a great time. I'm sure you will x

Mentioned in this post
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
Agonda
Agonda
Hampi
Hampi
Bellary District, India
Arambol
Arambol
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Baga
Baga
Vagator
Vagator
London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

thank you so much for your help guys

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

For Hampi, I think the trains are not quite as busy as they were a few weeks ago over the absolute peak period. There is a 'posh' bus to Hampi, an ovenighter operated by Paolo's Tours which starts from Panjim or Margao and picks up in Chaudi (10 minutes in a tuk tuk from Palolem). It has sleeper arrangements on board; everyone gets a sleeper 'box'. All the local travel agents can book it - two friends bought tickets at a day's notice just over a fortnight ago.

There were lots of people on the beach at Patnem and Palolem sporting scooter injury bandages and the occasional pair of crutches. Stick to taxis and tuk tuks!

Mentioned in this post
Hampi
Hampi
Bellary District, India
Panjim
Panjim
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
10. Re: Planning my 2-week trip to Goa. Comments, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2013, 09:24