We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

It was announced this morning that with effect today, the following restrictions will be imposed across the whole of Goa until the 6th March.

25th Jan until 5th Feb, all bars, restaurants, wine shops, shacks will close at 11pm and not open until 9am the next day.

From 6th Feb until 6th March all the above will close at 10pm and not reopen before 9am the next morning.

The 1st, 2nd & 3rd march along with the 6th March will be dry days.

Also on another negative note, there is a shortage of some drinks at the moment with some suppliers starting to run out of stock, the stocks of Kings are low, as are tuberg, I suggest anyone already here get yourself some stock in. Bars are trying to put stock aside as a precaution, but most have limited storage space, and the above change to opening hours may assist in supplies lasting a little longer, but this year the restrictions APPEAR to be harder than usual and likely to be more strictly enforced. The government also announced on Monday that 6,000 security enforcement officers (Police officers), will be brought into the state to assist with the District Magistrates Order.

Not currently the best news for the tourist industry here.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
854 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

Lol the supermarkets last week didnt have Kings either...we were told it was something to do with the fact they were stopping producing in bottles and going to cans..lol BUT i have to say kingfisher was readily available...hmmm makes you wonder..everything else in short supply but kingfisher.....money talks in goa.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

I think the police's time would be better spent out on the streets catching the bag snatchers rather than checking people aren't drinking - it's bureaucracy gone mad.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 07:28
Fraserburgh
Level Contributor
101 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

We did consider making this our final trip to goa as we fancied looking at going further south. Reading these stories about bag snatches, assaults and the early closing ofbars and restaraunts I think that we will definately look at Kerela next yeat.

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

My thinking is the same as yours grant79! I just love India and the culture but all the drugs, prostitution, bag snatches, sunbed issues, dogs and more, I am seriously looking at Kerela for next season.

So the headline in the Goa press should now read.....

Goa...closed at 10pm for the whole of February

Incredible India adverts would need to be changed to Unbelievable India!

London
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

Yes,its the typical third world nonsense. Plus the fact that there is always an element within the political class who think that others must not be seen to enjoy themselves, flash money about, lie on the beach half naked etc etc.

Obviously the Minister for Tourism is no such thing, probably just another name for the office Tea Boy.

The only good thing is that I arrive on March 7th.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,082 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

Off on Friday, if things are as bad as made out on here we'll be going elsewhere next year.

Saligao, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

I have lived here now for over 18 months..from uk orginally....and they certainly don't seem to want to make things easy for people to live or visit here, it beggers belief their way of thinking sometimes!

If you read the papers today...it says..it's a usual pratice among candidates during election time to throw parties or to sponser drinking sessions in their constituencies...but the order of the district magistrate is likely to spoil their plans...and everyone elses fun by the sound of it!!

Edited: 25 January 2012, 10:10
Lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

So then!!

Would it be possible, for instance, to purchase your drinks prior to the 10pm watershed, and continue to drink them after to bar is closed? or, would you be physically removed from said bars at 10pm sharp??

Lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

I ask this question, as there are a number of bars that I go in whilst on holiday, where we co0ntinue to drink long after the shutters come down...

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: With effect today.Bars & Restaurant early closing.

Tony

The way I read it, the bars, shacks, etc are supposed to physically close!

How that's going to happen (shacks?), I'm not exactly sure!

Wolf