We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

liverpool
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

an unfortunate story with a happy ending. I went to get pics for the visas only to find that max spielman had decided to put up the price of the 2x2 visa pics to £10 each (£30 for the family !) Blatant robbery: regular passport pics at £5.99, a full pack of baby pics (inc photo sessions) was £5.99 including (wait for it) SIX 2x2 "wallet prints"

I had the pleasure of speaking to an area manager while I was there, who was VERY sheepish on the matter "Well, Snappy Snaps charge £15" she said defensively. Yes, but that doesn't excuse the fact that you are just charging £10 for two pics because you can, it's not related to cost, it's just because the standard passport machines don't do them.

Anyway, I paid it.....and then bloody lost them on the bus home. Couldn't find them anywhere. Damned if I was going to pay another £30 I looked online and found tons of places where you can get visa and passport pics done for free. A very popular one is http://www.epassportphoto.com/ but make sure that you refuse their offer to print them (on page three of the process) and just save them to your desktop, then take them to a regular photo shop (even Max Spielman will do) and print them out for..........38p

I can't remember the exact software I used, but most programs have the Indian setting, if not the 2x2 American Visa one is the same. I used a spongebob poster turned round to provide a white background, and lightened the pics a little in the shop when printing. All three visas came back last week, no probs.

I used a different software, which is freeware, seems quite sophisticated, you have to click on eyes, top of head, chin, etc and it will tell you if you are too close to the subject, if it is too fuzzy, etc. It was really good.

It was on my work computer, so I will post it tomorrow.....I checked out http://uk.portraitbooth.com/ but it looked a bit complicated..

Anyway the moral of the story is, about 20 mins mucking about on the computer will save you £20-£40 on the family visa pics, which goes a long way in india (you could even donate a few quid to an Indian charity!) and DON'T listen to the chumps at Spielman when they draw breath and say "well....if you want to risk it...." If they charged a standard price for the pics I wouldn't have such a bee in my boneet about it...they're only trying to make a living. But they don't. So use the software and stick it to the man.

£0.38!

liverpool
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

found it! the page is here: http://passportphotos.me/ (funny address....no www) and the download page is here:

passportphotos.me/download/downloadpage.html

The software is home-written, but works really well and the web page is written in slightly odd over formal english (Indiam programmer? Maybe...) Anyway, it is a great money saving tip and big thanks to the guy that did it.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

You have just made it to top spot on the popularity charts in the Goa forums :) Good on you!

If I had seen this many years ago, I could have thumbed my nose at Snappy Snaps.

nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

anyone wishing to return to goa nxt year have your photos done in goa , we had ours done last yr 120 rupees for both of us for 6 pics each .we did'nt need photos last yr when we applied for our visa's but were told this yr we would need them so went and had them done .

Derby
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

I got mine done in Boots at there photo booth.It has an options for size of picture and although they are slightly mote than a bog standard set of x4 passport pictures at 7.50,I didn't quibble! Xx

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

I did similar..took them against my fridge/freezer with my mobile and took the phone to speilmans...so much cheaper but they only did 2x3 so I just cut the edges off...

Edited: 01 February 2012, 10:03
Pontefract, United...
Destination Expert
for Kos
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

Yes bigstig we had similar problems with size we sent the ones from the booth £10 for two sets and they came back so I took photos with digital camera printed them to size with a bit of cropping sent them in and no problems they accepted them and sent the visas back

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

I did my own last year but went to Jessops and Max Speilmann this year...what a rip off!

Jessops were £9.99 for two and MS were £9 for 6 and so we used MS this year. The most annoying this was I thought I was sorted for my IDP as well but the IDP require passport sized ones...arrgghhh!!!

Pontefract, United...
Destination Expert
for Kos
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

Hi iaintwoeyes I used the wrong sized one they sent back to me on my idp what a performance to go on holiday never mind soon be their

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

Well my local branch of Boots; Morrisons and Asda all have the coin-operated booth which DO give the option for the 50 x 50 size pics.

Look for the Indian or USA flag on the front of the machine.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visa photos: Nuts to you, Spielman

Cheers for that tip bigstig about epassportphoto, after struggling with sizing etc this website was so easy! what would we do without tripadvisor?! Got my visa back today and only sent on friday....thanks guys!! :)