We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight home with Monarch

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Flight home with Monarch

THIS IS NOT A MONARCH RANT THREAD!

This is a tip for anyone travelling home with Monarch particularly the Saturday morning flight leaving Dabolim at 09:30

Having done this flight a number of times now I thought I would pass my thinking on......especially for first timers

You will get picked up from your hotel from 4am onwards.

You arrive at the airport to join huge queues for luggage scanning, check in, security etc etc

You get to the lounge by about say, 06:30 - 07:00 ish. There is a small snack bar selling cheese or ham sandwiches which are horrible and hardly fulfilling. They also sell other small snacks and drinks (coffee is awful) at extremely high prices!

You board the aircraft ready for a 09:30 departure (hopefully)

You get airborne and Monarch flight crew serve drinks and extremely expensive pringles/maltesers/Minstrels etc.

You will get your meal served at about 11am as a "lunch" meal!!!!

At this point you will have been out of bed for over 6 hours and if anything like me, flipping starving! The meal that you will receive will probably be (and has been each time I've flown Monarch) a chicken curry.

So heres the tip.....take some food and drink (drinks bought in the shop in the lounge) with you for your return journey as you will be hungry! That is even more applicable as the journey time is 1½ hours longer than scheduled.

21. Re: Flight home with Monarch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2012, 13:45
Edited: 09 February 2012, 13:45
UK
Level Contributor
692 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Flight home with Monarch

Iantwoeyes, after you check your luggage in and before you go through security, there are two shops on the left as you walk into the airport, walk down in between them and you will find it, by the time you have breakfast the dearest in Goa though, all the queues for security have gone and you can walk straight through

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Flight home with Monarch

But you know what.....it actually may be worth it! A sit down, breakfast and no queues when I decide to go through to the departure lounge!

I may think differently as I sort through my pockets looking for that 5OORps for a coffee though...hehe!

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Flight home with Monarch

That place is a rip off intended to make you spend your last rupees!

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Flight home with Monarch

But worth a look maybe. Trouble is if I leave it until getting to the airport for a decent snack, it'll be too late to do anything if that cafe isn't any good.

So I'll take a load of stuff from the local shops in Agonda for us all.

Southall
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Flight home with Monarch

i think all airports are the same!! heathrow, i was picking up a mate and 33mins parking cost £4.90!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everything at heathrow and gatwick is just crazy!!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
331 posts
848 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Flight home with Monarch

I think it could be worth having an expensive breakfast in that cafe if it means you do not have to stand in the queue for hours to get through security - having queued outside in the sun for an hour before that you are ready for a sit down.

Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Flight home with Monarch

This is a very good thread iian especially for the 1st timers. We always buy snacks and a bottle of water the day before we depart and its nice and cool in the fridge and just throw the bottle away before we go through security, then buy more at the kiosk in departures as the food there is the worst in Goa. DIY for us this year and at Mumbai you have more food choices.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Flight home with Monarch

Are there any problems with taking food through security?

regards

John

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Flight home with Monarch

John

Food is OK (probably not soup though), no liquids over 100ml.

There's a good point about letting all the queues at Immigration departure desk & Security die down, but it might depend on what other flights are going out around the same time as yours.

On Sundays, there are 2 UK flights (TOM & MON) and 2 Russian flights (747s I think) departing between 11:30am & 12:30pm and queues are awful.

The MON2491 we've been on has been delayed the last 2 times because of people stuck in queues.

Edited: 09 February 2012, 12:19