We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

I can't find my old passport with my last Indian Visa number. I haven't been to India since 2002 and I am going back again in 2013. Hubby has his old passports but I can't find my expired passport which has my previous visa number in it.

I am due to get a new passport after September 2012 which doesn't have my previous Indian visa in it (it was the passport prior to that one).

What do I do about the visa question - Have you been to India before, obviously I will answer 'yes' and I can tell them when the Visa was issued based on Hubby's visa BUT I can't give them the number!

Any help would be appreciated.........

60 replies to this topic
Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

Hi Mulzy.

I guess the best plan is to e.mail them explaining the situation, giving them all the data about your last visit and ask them how to proceed... my guess is they will say " don't worry about it"... they can be contacted on:

info.inuk@vfshelpline.com

Hope you get it sorted painlessly

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

Thank you very much will email them right now and continue the hunt for the lost passport! :)

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

Dont worry, they are mainly concerned with recent visa's, in relation to the 60 day reentry rule.

Your visit ten years ago will have no bearing on your application, unless you happen to have been expelled for any reason.... Don't believe thats likely to be the case in your application.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

Goahappydays- thanks very much and you are right I wasn't expelled! I'm really looking forward to coming back but I imagine there will have been some changes to the area. Looking at some photos it looks like there has been quite a bit of building and developing going on! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

Hi - leave the question blank. Makes no difference at all, it's just for data collection. :)

And yes you will see a major change if you have not been for 10 years.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

Hi Mulzy when you answer "yes" you have been to India before the system will not let you continue until you put in a previous visa number. ( unless they have updated their system recently). You need to make up a number to continue filling in the online form I.e. 12345 then when you print it out put a line through the number in black ink and write above it " previous no not available" and it won't hurt to initial the change.

It's nothing to worry about loads of people have had the same problem.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 08:03
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

Thanks for all the replies, panic is now over finally found my old passport - whew!

:)

Rogiet, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

I had exactly the same problem this year as my husband couldn't find his old passport with his visa number in it. His details tallied with mine though re dates so where they asked for the visa number I just put something like unknown. This was totally acceptable by the Embassy and I got the visas back within 3 days! Only 14 sleeps, sorry make that 13 sleeps to go now and we will be back in India. Can't wait!!!

Edited: 25 February 2012, 10:32
Birmingham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

how can I write "uknown" as it doesnt let you write anything but numbers.

If I enter any number like 12345 as a previous poster replied and then cros it out and write "previous number uknown" wont the beurocrats send the form back stating one of the new rules which is "no handwritten applications accepted"

Its getting ridiculous.

I have emailed them and am still waiting for a reply.

The other thing is my wife is dutch national who was born in india but now living in the UK for 7 years.

All utility bills are in my name and not hers. Apparantly she needs a utility bill to show, but whats the solution in this situation?

She has bank statements, and national insurance documents. She doesnt work as she is a housewife

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number

include a letter Addressed to the high commision of India,including all the details as above plus any other information,also that you are going purely as tourists(if thats the case)

Reply to: Help Visa Question....lost my last visa number
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted