We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

We arrived at CST station about half an hour before departure. The boards at the entrance clearly displayed train number, name and platform. Platform 17 is to the furthest side and a bit hard to locate. The station of course smells a bit of fish as expected, but it is not too bad.

Since two of the tickets had been originally wait listed, the charts at the head of the platform displayed confirmed status and the coach number for those. We already had this information though.

We roll our suitcases over broken concrete, around baskets and cleaning machines, past the luggage coach smelling strongly of fish, but it is being disinfected.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

We find our coach, HA1, which is an air-conditioned coach - half First Class and half Second.

It is a very old coach and the inside is rather shabby, not as plush as I had expected it to be. The seats / berths are not as well upholstered as I remember a First AC coach being.

We are four of us travelling and all four of us are accommodated in one cabin. That is good.

The friendly coach attendant wishes us a cheerful good morning and brings sets of sheets, a blanket, a hand towel and small soap each.

A friendly catering supervisor comes along and gives me some general information about the train.

There are 10 First AC seats / bunks on this train. This train becomes the Konkan Kanya at night. More later...

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

I am told that since there is not much demand for 1AC on this train, an old coach has been put in. First AC on other trains is supposed to be much better.

There are three cabins - 2 four bedded ones and a two bedded one where women traveling together maybe accommodated. There are only 9 people travelling this category on the tran today.

The good thing about the cabin is that it allows you to spread out, even take a nap on a higher berth, as my daughter is now doing. There are hooks for hanging stuff, bottle holders, side tables, a sink which can be closed to be a table.

The cabin can be closed, but I have fought to keep it open and won :)

Being an old coach, the windows are not all that clear, but I still have a decent view. Again, being an old coach, the ride is not terribly smooth and I know that my bottom is going to feel sore by the end of the journey. However' I am able to put my feet up and relax while I do this.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

The attendant had taken orders for breakfast. Between us, we ordered two bread-omelettes, bread-veg cutlet and an upma-Sheera.

Not gourmet fare, but quite decent. Small portions though. I am used to a hearty breakfast, so might feel hungry later. We are missing fruits here. No fruit available on the train and I have not carried some along either.

There is coffee, tea and bottled water being brought along for purchase all the time.

The attendant has already taken orders for lunch. Chicken dum biryani was highly recommended, so we have ordered four of that. There is quite a choice.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

They are still bringing more of the breakfast items around for sale, so I am not going to go hungry :)

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

Sabudana vada has just been brought around. Hubby jumped up to buy some. We are going to suffer acidity by the time we reach :0)

We are now at Panvel. We have not even noticed the passing of time. I realise that it has been quite a comfortable and pleasant and interesting journey thus far.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

By now we have reached Pen. The grim, urban landscape has given way to rural, with hills, trees, scrub. This is what I am making this journey for. It is lovely and I am truly glad we are doing this journey by train.

Soothing and peaceful - all the stresses and madness of Mumbai life already feel very, very distant.

We are stopped at Pen and I can see two boys pushing another one on a home-made wheeled trolley which seems to have been fabricated from a wooden pallet. They are obviously playing truant from school, but what fun :)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

Hi GNMoss

Very nice report. waiting for more.

Thanks

Sanjiv

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

Net connection is now patchy. We have only just passed Pen. Was misinformed earlier.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

The landscape is beautiful from behind glass, in the comfort of AC. Must be scorching outside.

We have passed a river running by the side, buffaloes having a swim, a fisherman with a net slung over his shoulder, women on their way to do washing, with baskets of clothes on their heads, other women already doing community washing at water sources, some cultivation of vegetables in meagre fields, bamboo clusters. Every now and then, there is a brilliant flash of crimson with trees covered in crimson blooms. All with the hills seemingly all around.

It is all so peaceful and soothing and I am being rocked in this coach. Fighting the urge to sleep too :)

Thanks, Sanjiv.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mandovi Express - Mumbai to Goa - Trip Report

After losing a post, thinking of giving up on this connection. Let me see.