We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Goa

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
North Goa

It's been widely reported of late that North Goa and in particular Baga and Calangute have become more hectic and chaotic. What are peoples views on this.

In my opinion Baga/Calangute has for the best part of a number of years been very busy, hectic, chaotic call it what you want but it all amounts to the same.

There has been an increase of 'local tourists' the last couple of years specially around the Calangute steps area but as a whole I can't say that both these areas have become more busier (whatever you want to call it) than previous years.

For example, if you visit the Baga Road/ Titos Lane area at weekends, yes it is chaotic but during the week it's nowhere near as bad. Calangute High Street is busy any given day but that's exactly what it is, a High Street. Move away from these areas to the back roads and it's as quiet as most places. As I said, this is just my opinion.

It'll be interesting to get other peoples views on this.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Goa

Hello mate, I sometimes moan about the north with the traffic etc but I think that's only because I now visit with a child so if it was still the 2 of us it probably wouldn't bother me. I love Baga and Candolim and always have done as I know the area very well and I like the vibe. I hate the beach area by the steps in Calangute especially at night. I was with my daughter there one night last year buying a toy when a drunken domestic tourist basically wanted to fight me for no reason!! We can and do have an escape to the south for 4 days each time but I always like returning to Baga. Finally I know a lot of people complain about the rubbish and dogs but we never notice it/them (maybe its because we are not looking for faults) so it doesn't really become an issue for us, YET!

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Goa

Completely agree with you STALEX,

I suppose when you've got children you do see things in a different light and pay attention more. It's the same with first timers, when they first experience Baga/Calangute it can look different to Candolim and other areas. I've stayed in Candolim and found it far too quiet for me and much prefer Calangute. This year, we sat in The Red Lion one night and just watched the chaos unfold all around. Never been asked for a fight just for the hell of it though lol.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Goa

His friend couldn't apologise enough for the idiot who was completely bladdered. I also agree about sitting off at a bar and watching the chaos and the eastern european girls trying to walk in 6 inch heels!! Bharats bar on the corner of Titos road is a favourite to do this.

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Goa

I agree with both of you.

Calangute and Baga can get very busy with domestic tourists during the weekends but, apart from that, it's not too bad!

I've driven to Jamie's in Baga several times recently and have had no problems........now, if we could only get just a little driving discipline.............maybe too much to ask for!!!!

Wolf

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Goa

b.t.w.

I wouldn't go near the Calangute steps if you held a gun to my head - the Tibetan Kitchen is as close as I'll venture!!

Wolf

Darlington
Level Contributor
858 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Goa

Maybe a daft question but what goes on at calangute steps? Heard this mentioned before.

No rude answers please! Lol!

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Goa

The domestic tourists congregate en masse and the place is left like a rubbish tip.

Sudbury, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Goa

We been to Baga 6 years running, and I don't feel its got much busier during that period, though the demographic has changed.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Goa

I can't speak for Calangute/Baga but I think that Candolim has been pretty quiet the last 2 times we've been (Nov 2011/Feb 2012).

We do pop into Calangute a couple of times during our holiday, but only during the day.

The last 2 times we've not gone down to the steps to people-watch so I don't know if it's busier or dirtier than before.

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Goa

HI

Does anyone remember when the Calangute steps, was lovely at night just Indian familys gathering after a walk... no drunks in site,

no rubbish... We used to go there after Suzi Lobos ,

This time i only visted Calangute for the dentist..

Mims