We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sad and dangerous

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
sad and dangerous

hi guys just thought id let you know , lady had her bag snatched in Candolimsunday night - yet again 2 guys on scooter, she was injured thankfully and old mobile and little money but glasses and keys in bag

also we found 2 used suringes on beach quite near to Monicas shack same day, one looked big enough for an elephant! frinds we are with said that the russins people sitting near us were bring out of the sea broken glass the day before!

most say the rubbish is dreadful this year more than i ve seen before. just back from Chorpora and the amount of rubbish was really sad. im the local beach comber at the moment picking up bottles! shame i dont get money on them i could pay for another holiday!! lol

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sad and dangerous

I think if I had weighed in the glass I collected whilst there I would have made a fair few ruppees from a recycle plant lol. I think the guy at the shack thought I was crackers and was probably a bit fed up that I brought it back to his place .....but what do you do with it ? It was probably lobbed round the back as soon as we left.

We also found a syringe on the waters edge (no needle - thank god) as we walked near the River Princess.

Not put us off but very wary now of at is actually in the shallows as you plod along in the water. We said that year we will take some kind of swimming shoe to try and protect the feet a little bit.

Cant ever see the end of the rubbish problem no matter what they say.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sad and dangerous

No, I can't either. Too deep-rooted a problem for it to ever go away. I'm always astonished at how clean a lot of the villages inland are though. I'm not sure if there are festering piles of rubbish in bits I don't get to, or if somehow it's all disposed of properly.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sad and dangerous

Our family walks in north Goa have always been totally carefree apart from being wary of the traffic but next season in Candolim I will ensure that we walk facing the traffic with my wife and daughter on the inside. Hopefully this mini crime wave will long over by then but sadly I think it will crop up again.

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
438 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sad and dangerous

Hi kezibean

In response to your point about rubbish....

The rubbish issue not is only in Goa....

Stayed at Wildernest which is on the borders of Goa, Maharashtra and Karnataka.

On a morning trek into Karnataka, we stopped at a remote point in the hills which had a spectacular view over the valleys across all three states.... an obvious stop-off point for many travellers to take photos.

The amount of rubbish was absolutely unbelievable! .....Not just litter, but masses of broken glass from bottles seemingly just smashed for fun. In fact, and considering this was a remote area, it was far far worse than anything seen in the most touristy areas of north Goa.

Explanation?

Well this may be controversial, but does tie in with similar posts (some of which have been from Indian members).

This area attracts many Indian tourists. It seems that they don't care about littering their environment. This has also been suggested in other forums as a reason for the increasing amount of rubbish in Goa, which has become popular with many middle-class Indians who now take holidays there.

Before the pc warriors respond with anger, this is an issue that has been discussed in previous posts and is not meant to be 'racist' in any way.

Rather, 'environmentalist'.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sad and dangerous

Well said qifitness also I think a lot of rubbish is dumped off the beaten track.

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
438 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sad and dangerous

Thanks STALEX.... agree

Met a lady last year who had been visiting Goa since the 70's.

She offered an interesting observation about the issue of rubbish around nowadays.....

She said that when she first came, it was a daily ritual for people in rural areas to burn their rubbish late afternoon/early evening. It was in their culture to dispose of their daily waste.

At that time, there was nothing like the amount of rubbish seen now. It was disposed of every day.

Okay, glass can't be burned, and the increased production of plastics makes this a less efficient means of rubbish disposal.

However, it was a part of daily ritual (she observed) that has now become relatively rare. We see it on our visits, but would have seen it more widely practiced many years ago.

Sad change of times!

manchester uk
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sad and dangerous

You have only got to go down to the steps at calangute,to see the amount of broken glass, and bottles....which are all thrown on the beach by the Indians from out of state.they don't give a Toss...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sad and dangerous

When we started going, which was 14 years ago, they were always burning their rubbish early mornings, not just in the more rural villages but in the main areas also. The shopkeepers always used to sweep up and keep the area outside their shop clean too but lately we have noticed not only do they not do that but they sweep out their shops onto the pavement and just leave it there.

Southport
Level Contributor
161 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sad and dangerous

It is part of Indian culture to drop litter - I ran up and down Candolim beach and the areas where local tourists gathered where by far the most littered. I think they just assume that someone of a lower caste will pick up after them. Even Indians have admitted that they have a bad attitude but some are trying to improve things, see www.theuglyindian.com.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sad and dangerous

Lets hope all the Indians look at this...