We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You Too, Brits !!!!!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
You Too, Brits !!!!!

Here is a news paper report written by Michael Donhauser that has unnerved me -

Most pubs will have to close at 11pm during the games — from July 27-August 12 — as police fear criminal elements.

And 40% of the 25000 taxi drivers say they will not work during the Olympics unless they are allowed to charge the higher nightly rates during the day in compensation for lost fares during traffic jams.

The Jubilee Line, which is one of the main lines running between the Olympic Park and the inner city, received a new signalling system, but instead of leading to improvements, this has resulted in regular delays.

Pub landlords will be banned from posting signs reading: "Come and watch the London Games from our big screen!"

Fans in the crowd won't be allowed to upload snippets of the day's action to YouTube – or even, potentially, to post their snaps from inside the Olympic Village on Facebook. And a crack team of branding "police", the Games organisers Locog have acknowledged, will be checking every bathroom in every Olympic venue – with the power to remove or tape over manufacturers' logos even on soap dispensers, wash basins and toilets.

I am planning to visit London for Olympic games. I am not an alcoholic and do not drink every day but while on vacation I like to have a relaxed late night drinks and dinner. Drinking in London is not the objective but early closing is irritating.

I was just wondering whether Union Leaders of London Taxi drivers who gave the idea of charging more (excluding those damn tips) were in Goa in November/December 2011 season to drink and listen to Blues in Jambalaya and a morning visit to elephant shop and to buy few leather purses and 9 K gold jewellery and of course dental treatment and carry few bottles of Honeybee as a Goan souvenir to their close friends??

Did Olympic Committee members received a clue from Chief Minister of Goa re early closing of bars ? any guess!

My preparations have already started and I have brought new brown undies (labels removed as per instructions of brand policing. English police are very unkind unlike our Goa police who would allow you to walk out gracefully after receiving 500 rupee note from you. What a shame, U.K. does not have 500 pound note, so that is the problem ) as I will be visiting Brighton, Poole Dorset, Kent etc. to see its beaches.

I hope I will find shacks on those beaches offering spicy curries and a bottle of ale or sherry for 5 pounds (LOL) I also hope to get a sunbed for free( with a beach dog under it ) if I pay for food and drink as Goa beaches are overcrowded by whites and browns like us are deprived of an opportunity to turn us further deep brown.

Of course, I will miss my piggy loos and hole in ground types but I was told that U.K beaches have their fair share of Plastic bags with Poops. So I will carry few plastic bags as a precaution.

I will let you know my beach schedule so that regular posters in Goa Forum will be spared of the trouble of seeing brown undies on their beaches. (LOL)

Sanjiv

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,231 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You Too, Brits !!!!!

ha ha ha

But really, pubs closing at 11 pm? Wow.

Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: You Too, Brits !!!!!

I wonder if they will take a tip from India and charge the foreigners four or five times the price of the locals to get in , like they do at the Taj Mahal ?

BC

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: You Too, Brits !!!!!

OMG 99 days till the Olympics, Get Me Out Of Here!!!!!

Stay away from the Taxis Sanj the roads will be a nightmare and already are around that area at the best of times.

The tube might be your best option.

Where I work all annual leave has been restricted around that period.

I've already taken in a lodger around about that time, as identifying accommodation was proving a bit tricky & costly.

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You Too, Brits !!!!!

A witty and amusing piece, sanjiv!

I hadn't heard that the pubs were shutting at 11 p.m., but it doesn't surprise me!

It's very unlikely you'll get a sun tan in the U.K., I would be more concerned with not freezing!

Wolf

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: You Too, Brits !!!!!

Pubs closing at 11 ? I should have booked for Gambia instead.

north wales
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: You Too, Brits !!!!!

nice one sanjivmulye

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: You Too, Brits !!!!!

Dear TA

Please can we have a Like Button, pmsl

I hope this thread runs for long time ;-o

If only we saw ourself as others see us come to mind, lol

Think it's pretty much the norm for pubs to close at 11, innit ????

Unless it's a nightclub or bar with a late night licence ???

Mind you I never had any problems with a 'Lock In' around the East End back in the day.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: You Too, Brits !!!!!

Shhhhh no one mention the cost of a Newspaper...........O

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: You Too, Brits !!!!!

BarkingCreek,

Our visa fees to visit UK, cover the difference already. So, you have the choice of not going to Taj mahal and saving some money whilst we don't. Also, the food, the hotels, the cabs, everything is way more expensive for us. Or, maybe you didn't realise that?

Sanjivji,

Good one!

Edited: 19 April 2012, 06:39
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,447 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: You Too, Brits !!!!!

Great post Sanjiv. I never go far without a few plastic bags in my pocket though so far I've only used them for the dog lol. I'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere to get a drink after 11. Most of our local pubs close at midnight on a Saturday night kal though there are a couple that stay open later. Not sure about during the week as 11pm is past my bedtime these days ;-)