We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

Hello fellow travelers, I am going to Goa, India in June as a solo traveler. I am an experienced traveler, being well aware of the risks, and general safety measures I should take. However , this is my first time to India, and just wanted to see if anyone had any advice I should maybe be aware of/

I had a friend who went to India and said I may stand out a little just due to my height being 6'5", and being black, which I thought was very weird.... being I would be on a continent with over 1 billion Brown people. But, I just wanted to throw it out there to all of you good people.

By the way, I will be at the Nirvana Hermitage in Goa...anyone stayed there?

Jah Bless

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

O'h dear!! Well to put not to finer point on it. Indins prize "fair" as they call it ,skin tone .They even put it down as a requirement when asking for a marrige partner.

That puts your skin tone a bit far down the list!!.Also your hight would make you stand out would it not? in a land where most men are quite short.Put the two together and they are going to look!!.

I laughed when I first heard it , I could not believe it, but it is true I can assure you.

If you know about it , you can then deal with it.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

Lol Jah you sound like you have a good sense of humour! The hotel is in a secluded part of Anjuna and has some great reviews on here. It will be very hot, humid and probably the rains would have started when you arrive. There should still be places open in Baga and Calangute. Have a great time.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

Hi jahluva..

I'm sure you won't have any problems - You won't be the first they have seen, over my last 2 visits I have noticed a few Afro-american men and also several african guys.. I think they were Nigerian but cannot be sure.

Visitor-wise you will find it quieter in June as the "season" for the european package holidays is from around Oct to April, and the monsoon will probably have arrived by then. I don't know the Nirvana Hermitage in Anjuna but here are the TA review pages:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g306992-d7361…

Edited: 24 April 2012, 15:18
Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

As long as you do not mind being mistaken for a Nigerian... Quite a few Nigerians around - in Mumbai and in Goa. Must have followed the Brits here :-0)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

Thank you for all of the advice. I thought my friend was being a bit dramatic about standing out,.... but who really wants to blend in anyway, lol. All the advice on the people, season, and region has been very helpfull. any other genral advice would be very helpfull. I have heard it'svery cheap in India. Being that my hotel and airfare is already booked, would I need alot of spending money for general, eating, beer, little gifts etc... I will be there for 9 days. Thankyou

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

Hi Jah

Apart from your accomodation, 100 bucks per day will allow you to live like a king!

Enjoy!

Wolf

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

Thankyou Mr. Wolf. Thas a good way to gauge my spending. As I don't live like a king in the states , no need to live like a king in Goa. So maybe a humble brotha like me could get by with $25-$50 a day and simply live like a free man. Thankyou so much.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

25-50 bucks will be quite enough to get by on per day and you may very well still find yourself living something of a regal life. Just don't blow any of your budget airside at Jackson Hartsfield as you leave home on the overpriced catering outlets there!!

Enjoy, walk tall, remember the sights, sounds and smells, and be sure to catch the Goa bug too and get planning that second trip!

PS - if you haven't had the chance to visit Portugal or Spain, be sure to get out and look at some of the old Iberian churches as they are better preserved than many you would find in Spain or Portugal. Old Goa is a UNESCO site and the chirches there date back to the late 1500s (positiviely ancient , I know, to you American citizens!) plus you get to look at the casket of St Francis Xavier who died in 1522. Not in the least bit religious myself, I nevertheless love the ecclesiastical architecture there - don't go half way round the world and miss it out!

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

Jah

Sure......25 - 50 bucks will be fine for you to live like a mortal man! A pretty good mortal man at that!

Enjoy your first trip to India!

b.t.w. LondonRaffles has some good suggestions!

Wolf

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: African -American male going to Goa, India solo and advice?

LondonRaffles and Mr. Wolf you both have wonderfull info and suggestions.

@ LondonRaffles, I have been to Spain, and was fortunate enough to make it to Toledo while staying in Madrid, and was able to visit some of the old Iberian churches , and explore that rich culture. I am very excited to see how this culture, meshes with the Indian culture , which is why I chose to go to Goa. I'm guessing Iberian ham, didn't make it or last in India...lol which is ashame. I find it inetresting that the iberian churches there would be better preserved than in Spain or Portugal. I can't wait.

p.s. I may adopt your quote" Enjoy, walk tall, remember the sights, sounds and smells,"..... as a life motto...lol . Brilliant!

This may sound lame, but I really want to do the India elephant spice tour..( I really just want to ride an elephant ...lol) any suggestions on a cheap company/ guide?

Bless up