We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa vs negril Jamaica??

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
88 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Goa vs negril Jamaica??

Just putting it out there...

Can anyone compare from experience?

My only reason for considering goa apart from a new experience is to meet an old friend...

I always go to Jamaica 2 chill, recharge & get my life in to perspective....(not talking drugs here, cld get them @ home if I wanted)

For whatevr reasons my minds making me wonder if I should pay less & go to where I know as I need the break.

Does anyone know if I can get as much out of goa as I do jamaica?

Realise its a bit random considering my last question but its roaming my mind & bugging me, would really appreciate insiders feedback..

Anyone got any thoughts??

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa vs negril Jamaica??

Goa is no way the same as Jamaica--you cant compare them. We was in Montego Bay 2yrs ago and just loved it and the people were fantastic, Best carribean holiday we have had, and very laid back and relaxing.Now Goa is fantastic for the beach life , you can Relax eat and drink in the shacks on the beach all day iff you wish for next to nothing! (We found Jamaica very expensive but went A/Incl.) The sea has a lot of undercurrents so not really safe for swimming and its not the colour of sea you get in Jamaica!! I would have thought that it costs more to get toJamaica than Goa. And its socheapin Goa you have to be there to realize this. I think whats putting you off is that you will be going before the tourist season starts, and you thinkit wontbe same. I can assure you there is lots of English people who go out there for 6 months and some live out there, so it cant be that bad. Go and try if you dont like( which i doubt) you dont go back, but it def. in mho has something that draws you back/

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
88 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa vs negril Jamaica??

Thanks, really appreciate ur Reply.

Something I haven't mentioned is I don't really go away to meet ppl from the same country/background as me, I prefer to meet locals & learn new things frim them so the out of season bit doesn't really bother me..the sea & sun quality might...hmm that's mayb shallow of me..

Like I say thanks

Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goa vs negril Jamaica??

Hi

If you like to stay inside the complex and have nothing to do with the locals, then it's Jamaica.

But if you like to have some interaction with the locals and visit different bars and restaraunts in the evening or spend the day on a public beach at a beach shack ( and be reasonably safe) then it's Goa.

I wonder if you put this question on a Jamaica site what response would you get .

Hmmmm

BC

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa vs negril Jamaica??

Both have good and not so good points. I first visited Jamaica in 1991 and didn't stay AI so went out and experienced the markets, local restaurants etc. Food in India is much tastier IMO but then I am a veggie so Jerk Chicken doesn't float my boat!

Found the locals to be mostly genuine nice people there were a few incidents where I felt uncomfortable but removed myself from the situation (read that as running away from a rather unpleasant drug pusher), I was actually walking along the beach road minding my own when he thought I might need a guide then tried to sell me everyone drug available to mankind!! I have never experienced that level of intimidation in Goa. I have visited Goa 4 times but haven't been for 10 years (going back next year, because I miss the place).

Jamaica has some beautiful beaches as does Goa, but the Jamaican beaches are mostly guarded and kept quite clean. But I sometimes feel a bit weird walking past a heavily armed guard to get onto the beach in Jamaica?

I feel safer in India I find that the locals are quite genuine and friendly with no real motives. I feel safe walking about at night and during the day but didn't always feel safe in Jamaica. Oh and I did have a Jamaican security guard from the hotel spying on me while I was in the shower, he soon took off when he heard my scream!

I suppose to sum up India is a busy hectic mad place but full of lovely people, I love the sounds, sights and smell of India!! Would I go back to Jamaica - No, but I'm going back to India because I miss the place. Try it you might enjoy it and you get to catch up with your friend. :o)

Bangalore
Level Contributor
21 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa vs negril Jamaica??

Hi,

A Caribbean holiday cant be compared to Goa in terms of the waters or the lifestyle, however if you want to have a good time with economical trip with beer & fresh n spicy seafood (I know a lot of Europeans who love it once they've tried it!) host of water sports apart from the sun tan, then you must plan to stay in North Goa - Candolim, Calangute, Baga etc for all the action (if your not staying with your friend). If you want to be only in the resorts, then South Goa has a lot of options. Rent a bike and pack your food/ snacks from Newtons & head to the beaches of your choice.

Anjuna Beach is famous for hippies/flea markets - others are Baga,

Calangute (shacks), Aguada Beaches(North Goa) & Dona Paula (South).

Head to Panjim for cashew & Feni shopping. It is basically a foodie destination...If you have time visit, then there are many Portugese churches to visit (please cover the shoulder/knees), Doodh Sagar waterfalls (one of the biggest in India)....so there's lot to do depending on your interest. I know ppl who stay for 3mths every yr!

Let me know if you need more info.on hotel/restaurants/night life. Hope this helped.

6. Re: Goa vs negril Jamaica??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 August 2012, 08:05
milton keynes
Level Contributor
783 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa vs negril Jamaica??

never been to jamaica but have been to several carribean islands but only once to each. In my opinion the carribean wins for its sea colour, less litter and standard of hotels.

On everything else Goa wins easily and we have been back nearly 20 times

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa vs negril Jamaica??

I totally agree with what mickfinney says. Also who wants to stay on a complex for 2 weeks, never see the place and have guards and pump action shotguns in your face.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goa vs negril Jamaica??

We love Jamaica and we love Goa, you really can’t compare the two as they are so totally different from each other.

HOWEVER, as you are looking to go in September I would say Jamaica has to win hands down if sun, sea and sand are important to you, which it sounds like they are. You wouldn’t just be going to Goa ‘off season’ but during the end of the Monsoon – realistically it could rain, rain, rain and forget the sea as it won’t be safe to go in at that time of the year. Only the permanent beach shacks will be open so you will miss out on the Goan beach experience we all love.

IMO if you are set date wise to holiday in September it would have to be Jamaica and save Goa for another day when you can go during the season.

AND THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO ADORES GOA!

Happy holidays.

x

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goa vs negril Jamaica??

September and October in Goa can be very wet also damp feeling, the roads will not have been repaired or the place cleaned up after the monsoons

November is the start of the season and the weather is normaly hot and sunny most days also the good restaurants and beach shack will be opening but can't guarantee sunshine every day until December

Go to Jamaica if it has to be September or Goa if you can wait until November