We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa , and it's costs

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Goa , and it's costs

The cost of a holiday in Goa is now quite expensive, All the extra charges for flights , hotels going up in price, for in many cases quite poor rooms. even the cost of the food and drink has gone up ( although food and drink is very good compared to here in UK.) Goa used to be a good cheap holiday with lots to eat and drink at good prices. Now if you start to add it all up , it is anything but cheap Shopping is still good though.( thank God)

When we look at our winter holidays does Goa come out on top for you,or do you really look at other places now??. The Gap between Goa and other winter holiday resorts has closed right up for value IMO, and for me if it was not for the costs once there , I would be looking else where .

I have booked for this year and am looking forward to it , but if the cost of poor hotels and flights keeps riseing how much longer is Goa going to top the winter holiday list?.

What do others think????

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa , and it's costs

Vurda

The cost of hotel rooms has certainly risen drastically in the last few years and, IMO provides poor value for money compared with, say, Thailand.

However, I still find the cost of living quite economical.

Wolf

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa , and it's costs

Have been going for 17 years and have seen so many changes, not all for the good. I think my biggest gripe is that hotels want to charge western prices for poor quality rooms. Food is still cheaper than Europe and I think the standard of restaurants has really improved since the early days. Taxi prices seem to have gone through the roof these past few years and makes me want to take the local buses.

Having said all that I will be staying for 8 weeks this year and its still probably the cheapest place for a long stay wintersun holiday with guaranteed sunshine. I like the people, who always seem to have a ready smile. So yes, for the time being its still on my list but like you, if prices continue to rise I may have to look elsewhere.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goa , and it's costs

Getting there seems to be costing more each year plus the £150 for our 3 visas which seriously pees me off! However once there I'm happy.

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
996 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa , and it's costs

Hi

Three weeks in late 2004 = £590pp

Four weeks in early 2013 = £790pp.

Not much price inflation - my 2013 flight is £20 cheaper than in 2011.

Whilst incidentals are a bit more expensive each year up to now the prevailing exchange rate has been more significant than increasing prices generally.

But we go to have a cheap holiday - no 'because I'm worth it' Premium/Superior/De Luxe upgrades ;-)

In the Gambia last summer a day trip anywhere was coming in at about £70-120pp a go - to see the rhinos in Senegal etc.

Goa is still a lot cheaper than that for most comparable excursions.

Edited: 15 August 2012, 18:22
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa , and it's costs

Have the prices in Goa gone up more than the rest of the world? I'm thinking no, because that distinction could go to Europe, if I'm not mistaken.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goa , and it's costs

Correct Sandy holidaying in Europe/Eurozone is an absolute rip off!

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa , and it's costs

I think it depends where in Europe. We went to Malta last month and found it very cheap compared to England. Most bars do one euro a pint and full English for about 3 euros. But then Malta is not everyone's cup of tea.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa , and it's costs

Stalex,

For most Indians, visiting Europe and/or the US is a once in a lifetime thing, if it happens at all.....

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goa , and it's costs

Hi Vurda.

To be honest, if i only wanted a cheap holiday i would spend more time searching the internet for just that.

But would it give me the enjoyment i feel when in Goa, i doubt it !.

Theres always a price to pay for getting what you enjoy, in all walks of life.

So what im really saying, if and when Goa stop's pressing all the right buttons, i will look elsewhere.

Until then i'll pay for the benefits Goa gives me, after working hard through the year.

Anyone know how much a caravan is in Skeggy for a fortnight ?...........just in case, lol.

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goa , and it's costs

Well if i am really honest I am with KristieH. it is the cost of hotel rooms with poor accomadation, that really P--s me of. Years ago we had poor rooms but paid very little for them , so did not mind to much, now 26 years later ,the rooms are still just as poor in a lot of hotels,they have not improved at all ,and you are paying the same as a room in Europe which is much much better. No way would we put up with the rooms like we do Goa if we were in Europe, All hell would break lose.

I used to pay £50 to take my older grandaughter to Goa for the whole holiday. A couple of years back, i took a younger .one , it cost about £50.00 shy of the adult price, and they expected her to sleep on a thin mattress on the floor., nearly £600 to sleep on the floor , not on is it.