We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

Just been reading the thread regarding Extra Security, cant say looking foward to that! We usually enter Goa with cash left over from our previous holiday to pay for our taxi to hotel, is this illegal, and if caught with it on our person, what would happen?

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

I've took rupees back too. Just have to wait and see what happens when the season starts Josie

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

You shouldn't have any problems with up to a few thousand Rupees!

Wolf

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

I have been stopped with several thousand Rupees on me, and nothing was said. The man looked in a questioning fashion, and I explained that it was leftover from my last trip, and that was that, he never even touched the cash.

Technically, it is illegal, but it is down to the person on the day whether they want to be awkward, or not.

It may be prudent to divide any huge wads of dosh (I'm joking) between all party members, and then put smaller amounts in different places about your person

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,576 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

We've never had a problem either

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

No problem, you can bring few thousand rupees for your initial expenses, nobody will care about it, though it is illegal.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

Thanks folks, always had that feeling that we could be tossed into jail and the keys thrown away. But prob will still find a couple of places to hide our taxi fare!!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

For the first time ever, I bought some rupees today in London. Rate was 81, no commission. I usually have some leftovers with me on arrival. Ooh, I have just remembered that I am spending the first 2 days this time in Bombay so Imexpect I shall get through it vey quickly there.....

Southampton
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

I've never had anyone one check my wallet for currency. The Airport Police are more likely to ask you for a donation than check your wallet!

They will catch a lighter though from a million miles away! I hid several throughout my hand luggage and they got every single one on the scanner!

When I walked through they told me they wanted 5 lighters. They weren't bothered by the few thousand rupees I had for next year.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

@londonraffles. We have always bought enough in london to last us till we get to hotel. We get them from a place in vauxhall bridge road near Victoria station can't think what its called but always get a good rate. Probably the same place.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entering Goa with Rupees in your pocket!

June, is is Thomas Exchange? Someone recommended them a few years ago and I always use them now. Went into the city branch to buy US dollars, but just couldn't resist treating myself to some rupees too (in celebration of India's 65th anniversary of Independence!)