We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bogmallo Area South Goa

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Bogmallo Area South Goa

I would be grateful if anyone can give me any information about the area. Things like bars/shops/beach shacks etc. Is it very isolated?

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bogmallo Area South Goa

Hi Kristie send a PM to bogmalo (John) the destination expert for this area and he'll give you all the info you need.

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bogmallo Area South Goa

Thanks StAlex

Wales
Level Contributor
698 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bogmallo Area South Goa

We have dropped people off at the Bogmallo Beach Hotel and there did not seem to be a lot around it, certainly not as visitor friendly as the strip from Cansaulim down to Majorda and beyond, IMHO.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bogmallo Area South Goa

Bogmalo is a self contained bay with several bars / restaurants as well as shops selling jewellry and the usual tourist related items. It is ideally placed to get to other parts of Goa either north or south and being just south of the airport you can be in your hotel room within 15 minutes of claiming your bags As STalex has said bogmalo lives there and can provide answers to any other questions you may have..

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bogmallo Area South Goa

I think KristieH has already booked elsewhere..

John

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bogmallo Area South Goa

Hi bogmalo we're just about to book tanisha guest house. Bit concerned about sun beds on beach (or lack of them!). Would be grateful for any information you can give us please.

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bogmallo Area South Goa

Hi, Tanisha's guesthouse is about a 10 minute walk to the beach,nice rooms there though.As you say there is a lack of Sunbeds on the beach as apart from The Bogmalo beach hotel and Joets it is limited.But some of the bars do have beds which they put out so you shouldn't have a problem.As Bogmalo is a small bay it's very safe for swimming.

As Bogmalo is a small resort there are only about 10 restaurants but most of them are of very good quality and Joets and Johns do have live music at the weekends so if you do want a few late nights then not a problem as Joets can go on to 4/5 o'clock in the morning as Scouselatic can confirm.

As Bogmalo is central you can get to North and South Goa very easily about an hour to Candolim and an hour to Cavellosim so it's idealy situated.

Anything else let me know.

John

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bogmallo Area South Goa

Thanks for all the information, John

Good to know that the rooms as nice, they look good online, but you never know! Thought we'd have a change from the north this year - its years since we stayed south but that was the Colva area. I think Bogmalo had everything we need for a chilled out 8 weeks!

Are there any ATMs in the area and money exchange for Traveller's cheques or would it be a taxi for an ATM?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bogmallo Area South Goa

Bogmalo is practically on the edge of Vasco da Gama, quite a major town and generally nicely bereft of tourists. There is a fab church in the centre, very imposing Iberian/Portuguese architecture which is called (I think) St Andrew's and is well worth a visit. There are also nice drives along the coast there and it is all very picturesque despite Vasco having a heavy military presence (the port and airport are both under military control).

Bogmalo itself is a nice little bay and lots of the wealthy locals use the beach restaurants there in the evening - it can be quite interesting an fun to engage with them and makes quite a change from spending your holiday just speaking to other holiday people or those working in the tourist trade! I like Joet's restaurant in the evening - it's got a bit of a buzz and the food is good too. They serve this horrid sounding local Goan sausage which my Goan friends adore, so if you're a meat eater give it a whirl!! I stick to the big fat garlicky prawns....

About 2 years ago a friend having a Christmas break from some educational work she was doing elsewhere in India picked a rather nice place to stay there, planning on spending the entire break there, but soon moved down to the Canacona area as it wasn't what she was looking for as the Goa experience. I would quite like to stay there for a few days at some point, but not sure I would wish to stay there longer. There is the ugliest hotel at one end of the beach, an outrageously monstrous piece of planning - if you are down near Joet's you have to look at it and, much as I do like the brutalist school of architecture in its appropriate place, I really don't want to look at that style on a beach!

If you do stay there, there's also a really food Chinese restaurant in the big hotel along the main road in Vasco (can't remember the name, but it's a bit of a business hotel and has a pool on the first floor) - I have been there for dinner a few times on the night before the flight home when I stay with Goan friends who live in nearby Chicalim and it is very good indeed.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bogmallo Area South Goa

Hi Londonraffles, is that hotel called The HQ? Just asking because someone we met last year mentioned this place he's just stayed at with the pool on the roof in Vasco.