We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noob in Goa: Where to stay and what to do? 2.5 days!!

fremont
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Noob in Goa: Where to stay and what to do? 2.5 days!!

Hello, five adults will be in Goa. We will arrive in Goa around 4Pm on 12/11/2012. We will 12/12 and 12/13- two full days.

When we arrive on 12/11in the evening we plan to hang on the beach (which one?? Do we go local or touristy) and have a meal before turning in.

12/12 and 12/13, what can we do? I hear there are some nice historic sites outside, I'm guessing we'll need a driver (will it take the whole day?)

any other suggestions? As for hotels, any recommendations. If possible if would like a room big enough for five adults, somewhat close to the beach (walking distance), if thats not possible no problem.

The hotel does not have to be super luxurious, something clean (by American standards)...like Best Western or Holiday Inn standard.

What area should we stay in? We want to be hear the action, food/markets; we can walk to the beach. I know hotel rooms right at the beach will be expensive.

I apologize for so many questions, just want to make the most of the two days.

Mangalore, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noob in Goa: Where to stay and what to do? 2.5 days!!

Hey!!!

Beaches that you can visit: Baga, Calangute or Candolim

these beaches are happening places in Goa. Varities of Shacks, Food Stalls and Restaurant including Club Tito, Mambo are near to these beaches

Sightseeing you can visit Fort Aguada and the famous Church: The Church of Mae de Deus. Hire bikes thats the best way to explore Goa. :)

You have varities of options when it comes up to accommodation ranging from Budget to 5 star....If you want near to beach than try Lambana Resort or Nazri Resort. They are easy access to various markets, restaurant, clubs.

Goa is divided into two part South and North.....South is a Calm and Quiet Place whereas North Goa is a happening place....filled with Night life and Adventure.

Hope you have an awesome time in Goa!!!! and Welcome to INDIA!!!!! :) :)

Edited: 27 August 2012, 09:11
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,280 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Noob in Goa: Where to stay and what to do? 2.5 days!!

If you want to be in the thick of it, I think Baga would suit you, its the busiest area. There are loads of places to eat, you will be spoilt for choice and also lots going on in the evening. Anjuna market is on a Wednesday so you could visit that. Its a very large hippy market, sells about everything, you will need to haggle hard. You can go by boat or taxi. I would not recommend hiring bikes unless you are a very experienced riders and au fait with traffic in countries like India as they are completely maniacal on the road. We pay £15 to hire a taxi for the day to take us to a quiet beach, they wait for us all day for that amount but it will be more obviously if you are driving around sight seeing.

fremont
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Noob in Goa: Where to stay and what to do? 2.5 days!!

My sis found this hotel:

Joecons Beach Resort

How is the area? the beaches? food? I think my family is preferring the quieter south :-( . How far is North Goa?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noob in Goa: Where to stay and what to do? 2.5 days!!

Joecons is at Benaulim beach that is tucked away from crowded North Goa. Its a good for families and is walking distance to the beach.

I would only recommend this if you prefer to be at a quiet place. North Goa is approx. 45-50 kms (an hour's drive).

There are fewer shacks / restaurants around this place.

Titus.

fremont
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Noob in Goa: Where to stay and what to do? 2.5 days!!

Update!:

we book here in the South:

Beleza...by the beach: Traveler Reviews Colva Beach | Thandwaddo, Betalbatim 403708, India

ANy breakfast and dinner restaurants you folks recommend here?

and

In North GOa we booked:

Resort Rio Tambudki | North Goa, Arpora 403518, India

again any breakfast restaurants and dinner you folks can recommend?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,280 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Noob in Goa: Where to stay and what to do? 2.5 days!!

The hotel at Arpora looks awesome! Arpora is a small village a little away from the beach, probably 45 minutes walking. Its very nice there. The hotel will almost certainly do a courtesy bus to the beach. The closest beach is Baga which is the busiest, lots of water sports going on there. If you dont want busy, you can easoly get a taxi to the quiet beaches up north from Arpora but I think after your stay in the quiet south Baga will be nice. Regarding restaurants, its best if you wait until the season gets going and watch the posts or ask the question again as the quality of restaurants can change dramatically from one year to the next as the staff changes. Have a great holiday and be sure to write a report!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Noob in Goa: Where to stay and what to do? 2.5 days!!

The breakfast at Resort Rio is awesome. You will enjoy it. Especially the live counter serving those huge flaky melt in the mouth dosas. They have a pure veg restaurant too which suggest you try it for an experience. Very reasonable prices. There is one more restaurant by the pool serving italian and pizzas. If you want to go out- try some restaurants in Panjim- especially Viva Goa for traditional Goan food, Mums Kitchen- also for Goan food. There is a very good chinese ( Indian style) called PanAsia which is also very good. Hope you enjoy !

8. Re: Noob in Goa: Where to stay and what to do? 2.5 days!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2013, 10:17