We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

If I cant take Rupees into Goa, can anyone tell me if there is a Bureau de Change in the airport, as we have to get a taxi to our accomodation) in Panjim.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

Yes there is, i think its on the right as you go out.

London
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

There's a ATM cash machine outside the front. As you step outside, turn right and it's about 10 to 20 metres away. I'm fairly certain it will have a far better rate of exchange and fees than changing in the airport itself - although if you take this approach, then make sure you inform your bank to allow use of your debit card while in India for the duration you wish.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

Dont use the bureau de change in the airport - the rate is usually not that good. Either use an ATM or tell the taxi driver that you need to stop to change money before you get to your accommodation

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

If you pop into Thomas Cooks ,they will sell you some Rups,about £30 to be going on with. We did this the first year. Its just you cant take vast amounts into Goa.

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

There are two bureau de exchange in the airport one on either side of the exit and you will get a far better rate than Thomas Cook in the UK but you do have to watch you get the right money also you will probably still be far better off using an ATM

The best rates seem to be on the street in Calangute, most banks offer a rubbish rate and will want at least your mother in law as security plus two hours of your holiday to fill in the paper work

Edited: 01 October 2012, 22:50
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

If you use the ATM may as well get the maximum amount Rs10,000 as charges won't be much less for a smaller withdrawal. Use it every year with no problem.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

I am not aware, but are we not allowed to bring rupees into Goa? Never had this problem when I traveled to Bangalore.

Does it applies only to UK or all foreigners?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

Noelcwt the rupee is a closed currency, your are not allowed to take any in or bring any out although most people like us take a few out if we have any left over for our taxi fare the next time. Saying that though, many times we have not had any for our taxi fare and we just pay the driver the next day when we have exchanged some.

Mind you, now I am going to go to the bank like welloutofit says and then default on my mother in law!

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

uech,, just get 20 pound changed at the airport it wont be a BIG diff on 20 pound,say 50pence big deal lol,,,but u will have ruppes for the poor taxi dtiver lol,and every one happy,,,or maybe your on a day,flight,or a not to late night flight,, and the ex/offices will be open in panjim, if,so then your driver will take u to one to get your cash changed, thats better still, for u get 40 pound changed there, till the morrning ten u have a look around for a good rat,,lol,,, but if not ,,the 50 pence ish u loose at the airport change shop wont make that much diff WILL IT lol,,bye have a nice trip,,

Edited: 02 October 2012, 13:51
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bureau de change(Goa Airport)

Hi Dragonfli.

I don't understand if that is the case, why would rupees still available in my country for exchange? Surely we can't change any rupees or vice versa if that is the case?

I don't remember having any problems bringing in rupees to Bangalore this March. My girl friend is also studying in India and she and her friends do always bring rupees in and out of India.

Perhaps the rules only applies to UK ? I am not sure, but it seems ridiculous if I am not allowed to bring in any rupees, but I am allowed to change rupees in my country. Just sounds weird. Oh btw, I am from Malaysia.