We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa and the SW Coast

Bedford, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Goa and the SW Coast

I am planning my first trip to India and intend spending about 5 months there. Looking at the LP Guide Book there are a number of short trips listed but the one that I'd like to ask about is from Mumbai - Goa - Trivandrum down the SW Coast. What is the best way to travel and any ideas on how long I should allow? Cheers, John

england
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa and the SW Coast

Welcome to the forum John, firstly John you will need a visa and it is valid from the date of issue not travel. Most people get given six months, some three months only.some if lucky get a twelve month visa.if I was planning this trip I would book a multi flight into Mumbai and out of goa. Once in Mumbai have a few days there,lots to see in Mumbai.then fly to Kerala from Mumbai.up to you how long in Kerala as I personally was not keen. Then either take the 12 hr train to goa or fly again. As you are there five months there is lots of other parts of India you could see. Agra for the Taj Mahal, amritsar for the golden temple, Rajasthan,varanesi for the holy city and Ganges.

england
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa and the SW Coast

Another factor is if staying five months then best nov to April as you will avoid the monsoon then

Bedford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Goa and the SW Coast

Hi chelseawolves and thanks for the response. I am looking to see as much as I can and my thought was to go south first, as you say - to avoid the monsoons - and then travel northwards. Thanks for the tips on travel in Goa and Kerala by the way. Do you or anyone happen to know whether the buses between towns in the area are reliable (as much a they can be)?

Cheers,

john

england
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa and the SW Coast

Taxi,s are very cheap in Mumbai and kerala,so would be cheap enough to get round by taxi.as for goa taxi,s cost alot more but there is plenty of buses running through out the day and just a few rupees on each bus.for example calangute to candolim five rupees,to panjim ten rupees.it is easy to go to south. Goa from the north but takes a few hours and three buses.

Bedford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa and the SW Coast

Many thanks for the advice. John

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goa and the SW Coast

From Mumbai to Goa there are a number of interesting interludes, but since it is your first visit you may like to consider flying into Goa first. Another option would be via UAE/Doha to Kochi or Trivandrum and as suggested have an open jaw to fly out of Mumbai.

The coast is well connected by the Konkan Railway and you could do short journeys working your way up from Kerala. Buses are probably ok for journeys of 200 km or less, but not great for longer journeys.

One idea would be to make inland forays from the coast and rejoin the coast further north if you decide to start from Kerala. The Western Ghats have a lot to offer. To the north of Goa beyond Vagator, you have Sawantwadi, Malwan,Ratnagiri,Ganapatipule,Janjira and Murud

Likewise to the south of Goa, Gokarna, Honavar,Murudeshwar have a different landscape. You have plenty of time so you could just decide on your entry and exit points and play it by ear.

Bedford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa and the SW Coast

Hi and many thanks for your advice. greatly appreciated. Once I have a rough idea for the SW region I'll be lookig to head either SE or North and will no doubt be after further advice. Kind regards,

John

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa and the SW Coast

We used a mix of local buses and trains in the South. Train is best on a long journey but book well ahead to ensure you get a seat. Try Cleartrip to get an idea of train times and availability, but you will need to use the maps in LP or RG to plan your trips as the railway info is not very helpful.

If you like to be the only tourist in town try a trip to Udupi on your way from Goa to Kerala. Its a small temple town but very atmospheric.

Don't miss Kanyakumari - the Southern tip of India. Easily done by train from Varkala or from Trivandrum. We stayed a few days and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kerala was ok - but not as fantastic as the marketing makes it out to be.

Enjoy your trip

9. Re: Goa and the SW Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2013, 10:15