We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming in the sea

Wigan, UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
swimming in the sea

Sorry if this has been raised a million times before but couldn't find it! Is it ok to swim in the sea at baga? Going to goa for the first time 23rd november and can't wait

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swimming in the sea

Arguably not - read this one from the baga forum : tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g635747-i12307-k259…

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming in the sea

It depends on your proficiency!.........im a strong swimmer, but still careful when in the sea in Goa, the undercurrents can be hard to read..............so be careful !!!.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swimming in the sea

The waves are very fierce too, it's easy to get bowled over. I'm careful not to go out of my depth in the sea in Goa.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swimming in the sea

arni,,as u will see when u get on to the beach in baga,,theres are a lot of ships/tankeres lined up out at sea,waiting,for for the iron ore to be ,brought out to them by smaller ships,for loading on to the big tankers, a lot mining going on in goa,,,.thay are trying to stop it,,maybe this season,lol,,but a lot of people i know wont go into the sea cos thay say to much being dump in it by the tankers,u do see a lot of oil lines stained into the tide line on the beach,,thay do ,clear out the tanks of the big ships,,gen around end of april,,when most of the uk tourists ect have gone home,, i saw it 2 seasons ago it was a mess on the beach, this was in april just after easter,,,but them tankers do no good for the sea for swimming a lot of the regs i know say so u be carefull and dont swollow eny/, ps binliner,, wos dumped in the sea around there to,,lol,,,bye

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: swimming in the sea

Go up to Little Vagator beach which is sheltered by rocks and perfect for swimming.

London
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swimming in the sea

I'm confident in the water, but not a strong swimmer and found it to be fine at candolim around Xmas last year. I can understand why some people have reservations, but if you know what your doing it is absolutely fine.

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: swimming in the sea

Baz all mining in Goa is now stopped,most europeans have little problem swimming in the CCB strip,most of the drownings are domestic tourists going in the sea drunk

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: swimming in the sea

I think it is OK to swim ,for those that want to, but you do have to be very careful. I have lived right by the sea all my life , and am used to it. It is my choice not to swim in the sea in CCB strip, but just go in deep enough to cool of. Even then i have been knocked of my feet. Better safe than sorry.

Dragon is right about the drownings though , domestic tourists not used to drinking, are always manageing to drown them selves while getting pickled!!.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 12:27
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: swimming in the sea

Don't swim its like bathing in a public lavatory, go to Anjuna or further north clean water there.

cumbria
Level Contributor
339 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: swimming in the sea

It can be very dangerous strong under currents will whip the legs of you at times the further out the easier it gets but you must be a very strong swimmer I pulled a German guy out a few years ago with the help of my blow up pillow he went to far out and struggled against the current coming back in , I've even seen a boat sink coming back from anjuna market waves over the side thank God it was near to the beach I was in again to help .what ever you decide look at the conditions.

Get answers to your questions about Goa