We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in the Goa Ocean?

Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in the Goa Ocean?

Hi there,

Heading to Goa in February for the first time...very excited. We are staying in Candolim.

I have been traveling to India for many years and well versed on the country.

Specific to Goa, I see loads of mentions about the shacks, food, lifestyle etc. But I don't see many comments about swimming in the ocean. Just curious to get your take on the beaches in North Goa?

Do most people swim in the Ocean or is it dirty and stick with swimming pools?

Thoughts?

Jay

Edited: 09 November 2012, 03:54
Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in the Goa Ocean?

Hi

In the pool, swimming in other peoples pee, has often given me an ear infection.

I've never had this from the sea.

BC

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in the Goa Ocean?

I prefer to swim in the sea anywhere but last year found it too rough in candolim and cavelossim.

However i swam in the pool everyday, and had a severe gastric viral infection when i got home, needing 4 weeks off work. As did a couple we met at the hotel who also used the pool. we had eaten different food in different restaurants ,the drs thought it was probably from the hotel pool. so i would say it depends how well the hotel keeps the pool.

i will stick to the sea in future there

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in the Goa Ocean?

Well, hope you enjoy your visit to Goa. Some of the beaches really are to die for and will live up to any expectations of an almost tropical beach, with swaying coconut palms, white sands, blue blue water, rustic fishing boats, unspoilt views. Other beaches will not be like this though. You may prefer beach restaurants cheek by jowl and sprawling sunbeds (despite any local attempts to regulate the number of sunbeds per establishment)! It will be quite different (and much warmer) than any Canadian beaches.

The sea is generally very clean, certainly it is clean in South Goa. However, it can be quite choppy and there are undercurrents and small rip tides. Best to confine your sea swimming to areas which are beach guarded. I am not really much of a swimmer and do not feel confident in the water there (whereas I will stay in the water pretty much all day in another part of the Indian Ocean/Arabian Sea such as Dubai). As with anywhere, pool hygiene can vary - I prefer pools elsewhere; however, I do like the occasional day by the pool at the Lalit the Intercontinental (which is a very smart hotel in South Goa) and I am expecting high pool standards at the posh hotel at which I shall be staying for a few days in Bombay's Marine Drive - the hotel was chosen, in part, for its rooftop pool overlooking tha Arabian Sea, also to enjoy some international standard luxury before heading for joyful simplicity in Goa.

Have a fab trip. Which area are you heading for.

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in the Goa Ocean?

londonraffles he does say Candolim in his question

The sea in this area is Ok to swim in the breakers can be a bit bouncy,but beyond that Ok,there are rips too,nowhere is good enough for scoober diving,all along the coast are lifesaver stations

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in the Goa Ocean?

I call it 'frolicking' sea as quite often the waves are too large to actually swim but its lovely and warm and certainly appears very clean. I don't know about currents where you are staying as we stay further north but I'm sure that you will thoroughly enjoy the sea.

London
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in the Goa Ocean?

you might also want to read this thread tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k5…

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming in the Goa Ocean?

The sea is very rough with large waves and some strong under currents, it is generally calmer early morning and find this the best time for a swim.

8. Re: Swimming in the Goa Ocean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2013, 10:15